Basketball

Faliro

Greece riding high in the world cup!

Festivus

I watch the NBA sometimes. I "support" the Chicago Bulls... boring answer, I know.

Godescalco

Although I'm really not a huge fan of the sport, I know Thrylos won two European championships recently which made me glad.

Festivus

Citação de: Gottschalk em 02 de Setembro de 2014, 21:27
Although I'm really not a huge fan of the sport, I know Thrylos won two European championships recently which made me glad.
It's an interesting sport, although I admit that the high scoring nature of it makes each point not seem so valuable and special compared to goals in football and other sports. Plus, the fouls and the stoppage in the 4th quarter tend to become a bit nerve wrecking.

Godescalco

Actually, if I recall correctly, one of the titles won was against Real Madrid, right? They're one of the traditional European basketball powerhouses.

Festivus

Anyway the coolest thing about basketball are the flashy plays and dunks.

Godescalco

Citação de: Festivus em 02 de Setembro de 2014, 21:41

I gather that European basketball is more tactical than the American variety.

Festivus

Citação de: Gottschalk em 02 de Setembro de 2014, 21:44
Citação de: Festivus em 02 de Setembro de 2014, 21:41

I gather that European basketball is more tactical than the American variety.
I don't follow European basketball, so I have no idea, but I heard there's less stoppage. Americans love their stoppage in sports. They even have TV time-outs so that the network can air ads.

Faliro

And Greeks have one of the best defenses in world basketball!

Festivus

I wish our basketball team could compete with the top european ones. It's a very popular sport and us being good at it could never be bad for our club.

cipri_slb

Portugal is not a country of Basketball. we are very bad  ;D

SLB É O REI DO MUNDO

Citação de: cipri_slb em 02 de Setembro de 2014, 21:53
Portugal is not a country of Basketball. we are very bad  ;D

We are definitely a non Basketball country. We don't have basketball tall people. Even for Volleyball we are too short.

I'm 1,82m and here in Portugal that's a medium-tall guy.

In Lithuania, for example, that's a short-medium person.

And we only have 10 million people. With so few portuguese, we can't have top level teams in many sports like USA, China, Russia or even our Spanish neighbors, who are a 45 million country (give or take).

We have top level athletes/teams in football, beach soccer, futsal, roller hockey, athletics, judo and maybe one or two more sports. For a country with only 10 million people and not a lot of money to invest in other sports besides football, I think we do just fine.

It's sad though, that the sports wich we are good at, are not that popular at a world wide scale (except football).

Lazar.

This year we return to Europe.

We're on Eurochallenge's group phase. Still a long way to go to be able to face Olympiacos :P

I've been on vacation but I'll start following the World Cup tonight with Spain vs Senegal.
Foreigners wouldn't believe how bad our coverage of the World Cup is.

pcssousa

Always supported Greece in international competitions since they won the 1987 Eurobasket in Athens against USSR. I was a small boy at the time, but I will never forget that team. 1. Panagiotis Giannakis and Nikos Galis lead their team to unforgettable victories against Yugoslavia and the Soviets.
Giannakis and Galis are still my favorite Greek players and Galis is also my favorite European basketballer ever. I think he has a record 30,5 points per game playing for his national team. Unbelievable player who was an All American along with Larry Bird when he was playing in the States.

Wish you the best of luck's.

Festivus

What are the best basketball nations? I'm guessing the top 5 would be something like this(no order): USA, Serbia, Greece, Lithuania, Spain?