Take Fernando Santos back, please.

Not in a million years.  :)

Festivus

Citação de: Faliro em 30 de Junho de 2018, 21:32
Citação de: Festivus em 30 de Junho de 2018, 21:24

I thought we were friends by now...

In all seriousness now, how could anyone think he was a good coach even after Euro 2016?! Fuck him, man.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 30 de Junho de 2018, 21:33

In all seriousness now, how could anyone think he was a good coach even after Euro 2016?! Fuck him, man.

It is because we overstate the ability of coaches in general. When a team win something big - the press want to imagine a tinkering mastermind behind the victory - but a lot of the time - the winning team simply have the best team spirit and players.

I remember Santos in Greece like it was yesterday. I absolutely hated his tactics and that is why when I was repeatedly asked on here if Olympiacos would ever get him - I stated no. Nor would they want him. He is a deeply negative coach and even with Greece - in the WC - we could have easily beaten Costa Rica.  They were playing with 10 men from the 66th minute! The players he used.. the way he set out the team - he was playing to go to penalties from the 66th minute even though we had an extra player.. he got his dream and we went out 5-3 on pens.

Festivus

Citação de: Faliro em 01 de Julho de 2018, 11:36

It is because we overstate the ability of coaches in general. When a team win something big - the press want to imagine a tinkering mastermind behind the victory - but a lot of the time - the winning team simply have the best team spirit and players.

I remember Santos in Greece like it was yesterday. I absolutely hated his tactics and that is why when I was repeatedly asked on here if Olympiacos would ever get him - I stated no. Nor would they want him. He is a deeply negative coach and even with Greece - in the WC - we could have easily beaten Costa Rica.  They were playing with 10 men from the 66th minute! The players he used.. the way he set out the team - he was playing to go to penalties from the 66th minute even though we had an extra player.. he got his dream and we went out 5-3 on pens.
Tbh he didn't do so badly for Greece. I mean, he made it to the last 16. Don't remember about Euro 2012. Did you make it to the QFs? For Greece, qualifying for the WC and passing the group stage is pretty good already. No wonder the Greek press liked him a lot. He probably didn't have much pressure there.

But yes, he made history with Greece in 2014 as far as Greece in the World Cup goes... but he could have made his team reach the QFs, which would have been even better. Costa Rica had a good tournament, but of all teams you could have faced in the last 16 round, you were lucky to face the most accessible one, and Santos dun goofed.

He managed the big 3 in Portugal and was fired from every single one of them. I'll never forget Benfica under him losing games 3-0 or 3-1 and him saying in the press conference afterwards "I told the players to stay focused and not concede any goals. What else could I have done?" He has an ego and tends to blame players for his incompetence.

He majored in Electrical Engineering... surely it wasn't hard for him to find a job in that field? But ofc football makes him a lot more money... and despite his mediocre quality he has made a lot of money, I bet. So yeah, good career change choice lol

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 01 de Julho de 2018, 13:27
Citação de: Faliro em 01 de Julho de 2018, 11:36

Tbh he didn't do so badly for Greece. I mean, he made it to the last 16. Don't remember about Euro 2012. Did you make it to the QFs? For Greece, qualifying for the WC and passing the group stage is pretty good already. No wonder the Greek press liked him a lot. He probably didn't have much pressure there.

But yes, he made history with Greece in 2014 as far as Greece in the World Cup goes... but he could have made his team reach the QFs, which would have been even better. Costa Rica had a good tournament, but of all teams you could have faced in the last 16 round, you were lucky to face the most accessible one, and Santos dun goofed.

He managed the big 3 in Portugal and was fired from every single one of them. I'll never forget Benfica under him losing games 3-0 or 3-1 and him saying in the press conference afterwards "I told the players to stay focused and not concede any goals. What else could I have done?" He has an ego and tends to blame players for his incompetence.

He majored in Electrical Engineering... surely it wasn't hard for him to find a job in that field? But ofc football makes him a lot more money... and despite his mediocre quality he has made a lot of money, I bet. So yeah, good career change choice lol

Well it is an interesting subject and you are correct - he had no pressure on him in Greece - he was loved by the press. When he coached AEK, PAO and PAOK (amazing to think he coached all 3..) - he was known for his negative tactics and I never liked the way he set out a team and that is why even coaches such as Tsiolis often out-coached him on the field - creating far more vibrant teams also.

The problem for me is he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct and also he has bizarre favourites - in Hellas anyway.. You are right - he took us further in the WC than anyone else - and also the QF in the Euro (we didn't stand a chance vs Germany so that really was our ceiling there). However - in the WC he had the players to destroy Costa Rica - especially when they went down to 10 men.. his first sub? Another defensive midfielder..

The Hellas NT is also an unfair comparison to Portugal because we have underachieved for decades due to severe disorganisation and low IQed coaches - so it was not difficult for Otto or Santos to break records.  We never used what we had properly - players like Machlas ruined in the NT.. Our first WC goes down in history for its incompetence and idiocy. Just look at the half time team talk during the 1994 WC where he is telling them to fucking shoot.. :crazy2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxiwo0r5hJY

BTW is it me or does Bernardo Silva have the body of 16 year old? This is what irritates me with some Greek players. They do zero gym work to strengthen their core.

Faliro

Excellent interview with Manolas:

http://www.sport24.gr/Columns/longform/h-eksomologhsh-o-kwstas-manwlas-egine-aytokratoras-ths-rwmhs-gia-mia-hmera.5242990.html

Interestingly he commented on Jardim. Said he was a good, serious coach.

He also commented on Santos - seems to like him a lot.

Calcio

Aris signing a spanish goalkeeper.

Any other transfers from them?

Faliro

Citação de: Calcio em 12 de Julho de 2018, 14:05
Aris signing a spanish goalkeeper.

Any other transfers from them?

Plenty. They are building a team capable of wining the Segunda División as usual.  ;D

Can also add this guy to the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol%C3%A1s_Colazo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AEK released their new kits:

StellaRojas

I hope that your relatives from Athens are safe, Faliro...

diogo32

Best of luck on this tragedy, we know how hard it can be :amigo:

Faliro

Citação de: diogo32 em 24 de Julho de 2018, 13:35

Citação de: StellaRojas em 24 de Julho de 2018, 11:30

Thanks to you both. Thankfully my relatives all seem fine. I hope they catch the guys that did this and execute them.

StellaRojas

Citação de: Faliro em 24 de Julho de 2018, 14:28

Thanks to you both. Thankfully my relatives all seem fine. I hope they catch the guys that did this and execute them.

What a disaster...I have heard that some investors have been trying to build in " green areas" around Athens, and they have difficulties obtaining permissions from authorities...so they have a habit of setting fires in those areas.

Faliro

Citação de: StellaRojas em 24 de Julho de 2018, 14:33
Citação de: Faliro em 24 de Julho de 2018, 14:28

What a disaster...I have heard that some investors have been trying to build in " green areas" around Athens, and they have difficulties obtaining permissions from authorities...so they have a habit of setting fires in those areas.

Once again my Serbian friend, you are 100% correct. The land is highly valuable but you can't build on it because of the trees and forest - which are protected by Hellenic law. So the cock smokers wait for a heatwave.. it has been 35 degrees in the area this week... and then they set the place alight.  :disgust:

Festivus

Portugal had the exact same problem a year or two ago, with wildfires killing dozens of people as well.

When the weather gets too hot fires always pop out in forestry areas here. Around 2003 or 2004 we lots an area of forestry equivalent to the size of the country of Luxembourg.