Memorable games you never forgot that do not involve your team

Faliro

Festivus got me thinking about this. When I think of games that really entertained me - my earliest memory is Goycochea penalty saves for Argentina in the world cup. No idea why - I was just so impressed as a kid by those saves.

One of the most exciting games I ever saw bizarrely was the 2001 UEFA Cup Final between Liverpool and Alavez. Anyone else remember that game?

Festivus

I don't remember that final but I remember Feyenoord vs. Dortmund. First UEFA Cup final I remember, I believe? Van Hooijdonk!

I'll never forget Liverpool vs. AC Milan in 2005, though.

I assume you're only asking about games that don't involve our teams so lemme see what else...

I remember a Real Madrid vs. Man Utd game in the knock-out stage of the CL in like 1999-2002 or so that had a lot of goals, but not sure exactly what season it happened. RM ended up going through.

As for international games... well France decimating Brazil in the 1998 WC final, Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia in 2002 and ofc, the 7-1 in 2014. Belgium vs. Tunisia in 2002 is another one I remember... for being one of the worst games I've ever seen. I woke up at like 8AM to watch it or something.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 01:44
Belgium vs. Tunisia in 2002 is another one I remember... for being one of the worst games I've ever seen. I woke up at like 8AM to watch it or something.

:2funny: :2funny:

Festivus

Citação de: Faliro em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 01:54
Belgium vs. Tunisia in 2002 is another one I remember... for being one of the worst games I've ever seen. I woke up at like 8AM to watch it or something.

As for CL games, Shakthar vs. Bayern in the last 16 round of 2015 or 2016 was a borefest too.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 01:56

As for CL games, Shakthar vs. Bayern in the last 16 round of 2015 or 2016 was a borefest too.

I purposefully try and forget boring games.

Spain getting the shit kicked out of them by the Dutch  in 2010 WC final stays in the mind.

Festivus

Citação de: Faliro em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 02:00
Citação de: Festivus em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 01:56

I purposefully try and forget boring games.

Spain getting the shit kicked out of them by the Dutch  in 2010 WC final stays in the mind.
I still don't know how Spain managed to win that WC...

Petrov_Carmovich

The first that comes to mind is the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final between Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

Liverpool vs AC Milan the 2005 Final was good too.

Saw many games of the 1994 and 1998 World Cup because of Brazil and the Netherlands.

The Euro 2004 I remember the Italy vs Bulgaria. Italians winning but Denmark and Sweden tied the game and send the Squadra home.

I will add a few more later O0

VitorPaneira7

My list of favorite memorable games, without Benfica, are the following:

Germany 3-3 Brazil for the US Cup in 1992, the first time i saw Klinsmann play
Romania 3-2 Argentina, one of the best matches in the world cup 1994
Alavés 4-5 Liverpool, problably the greatest uefa cup match
Man UTD 2-1 Bayern, i thought bayern was the winner, then it happen, Ferguson Time
Argentina 2-2 England world cup 1998
Netherlands 2-1 Argentina, great match, great teams, an even greater Bergkamp goal
Barcelona 1-0 Sampdoria, my first champions final, i was supporting sampdoria. Since then , at least for me, the alternative shirt to Barcelona must always be orange
Milan 0-1 Marseille,the rossoneri thought they were invincible, that they were the greatest,in the end they lost
São Paulo 3-2 Barcelona- What a game. The first time i knew the existence of Raí, what a player
São Paulo 2-1 Milan, Raí strikes back

Well, these are the games that marked my childhood and youth. At least the ones i can remember.

SousaLB

Citação de: Faliro em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 01:37
Festivus got me thinking about this. When I think of games that really entertained me - my earliest memory is Goycochea penalty saves for Argentina in the world cup. No idea why - I was just so impressed as a kid by those saves.

One of the most exciting games I ever saw bizarrely was the 2001 UEFA Cup Final between Liverpool and Alavez. Anyone else remember that game?
I would mention exactly that match before reading your post :)

Real 3-0 Valencia (99/00, CL final)
Mónaco 8-3 Depor (03/04, CL)
Brazil 3-2 Netherlands (WC 1994)
Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia (EC 2000)
Barcelona 5-4 Atlético de Madrid (96/97, I think)
Bayern 6-1 Porto (CL, 14/15)
Man Utd 2-1 Bayern (CL Final, 98/99)

I didn't include matches involving Portugal as they are my team as well.

Festivus

Citação de: VitorPaneira7 em 01 de Dezembro de 2018, 09:53
My list of favorite memorable games, without Benfica, are the following:

Germany 3-3 Brazil for the US Cup in 1992, the first time i saw Klinsmann play
Romania 3-2 Argentina, one of the best matches in the world cup 1994
Alavés 4-5 Liverpool, problably the greatest uefa cup match
Man UTD 2-1 Bayern, i thought bayern was the winner, then it happen, Ferguson Time
Argentina 2-2 England world cup 1998
Netherlands 2-1 Argentina, great match, great teams, an even greater Bergkamp goal
Barcelona 1-0 Sampdoria, my first champions final, i was supporting sampdoria. Since then , at least for me, the alternative shirt to Barcelona must always be orange
Milan 0-1 Marseille,the rossoneri thought they were invincible, that they were the greatest,in the end they lost
São Paulo 3-2 Barcelona- What a game. The first time i knew the existence of Raí, what a player
São Paulo 2-1 Milan, Raí strikes back

Well, these are the games that marked my childhood and youth. At least the ones i can remember.
Are those São Paulo matches from the defunct Intercontinental Cup?

MiguelPalma92

BossMil

My early memories of football without Benfica being involved, was of AC Milan and the Netherlands.

Since the Euro88, when both Gullit and Van Basten scored remarkable goals, specifically the mythical one from Van Basten in the final against USSR, I remained a fan.

Milan side under Arrigo Sacchi (and later under Cappello) was amazing. Milan is my favorite international team ever since. There were several games.

São Paulo under Telê Santana management had a beautiful football. I remember the Intercontinental final against Barcelona under Cruyff. It's my favorite Brazilian team because of that.