Baron_Davis

Faliro

Citação de: Baron_Davis em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 00:47
Citação de: Faliro em 05 de Agosto de 2019, 21:38
We play Porto if we beat the Turks.

:coolsmiley:

not so fast  :coolsmiley:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

In my humble defense, I had no idea Porto were that bad. I watched snippets of them last season when they began to panic near the end of last season when Benifca flipped the switch into overdrive. I assumed that was a blip for Porto and this season they would come back reorganised. Seems it was more than a blip. They are truly vulnerable now. Don't remember them this weak since I joined the forum.

Schweisen Tiger

Citação de: Faliro em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 00:40
Citação de: Schweisen Tiger em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 00:24
Citação de: Faliro em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 00:14
Citação de: Schweisen Tiger em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 00:07
Citação de: Faliro em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 00:02
Citação de: Schweisen Tiger em 13 de Agosto de 2019, 23:57
The thing is, in Portugal, both Porto and Sporting have too much power on portuguese football building. If this was just 11 men against 11 men, pure football, that dominance could be fullfiled. But the way things work, it won't be possible. We will win more, but not in 19 leagues in 20 years base.

Clearly your league is also more competitive than the Greek equivalent was for the last 20 years. However, the one trump card Benfica has is that successive titles do have a psychological snowball effect on your domestic rivals. I watched the highlights of the Porto game, I think since I joined this forum, I have never seen Porto so lost. Seems even their fans are becoming confused. It was the same recipe for Olympiacos in the 96-87 season. We never looked back afterwards. We were just consistent, the other teams destroyed themselves.

I remember those Olympiakos days, watching Georgatos and Giannakoupoulos destroying Porto in CL.

Golden period file mou. We used to called Georgatos 'Trelos Karaflos.' Lit: 'The Crazy bald.' Mad man, but great to watch.

As for Porto, a goal that still make me goose bumps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ZfQyAh24k

I clearly remember this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke53y9XVWzk

Olympiakos drawed within 5 or 10 minutes to finish the game, thanks to a magnificent performance of a man that even nowadays, gives us big smiles when we remember him: Ivica Kralj.

I remember we bought Zahovic off them the following the year. What a brat he was, but a fine talent nonetheless.

Incidently the much loved, completely mad Olympiacos keeper was in that game, Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos. Insanely good shot blocker, penalty saver. Insanely bad mistakes throughout his career. I bumped into him in Athens Airport and got his autograph when I was a teenager - Karembeu was there and I got his also. I had no paper so they both signed inside my passport that i only found out later was illegal. Dimitri was reading one of the trash Olympiacos sports papers - maybe Fos? I posted an article about Eletherpoulos a while ago. Came from very humble beginnings - literal poverty in Piraeus. But the guy had a massive heart. A fascinating insight.

https://www.contra.gr/synentefxeis/o-dimitris-eleytheropoylos-den-anikei-se-kanenan-pia.7443696.html

However, I laugh when I remember him signing my passport. Such a friendly guy. So much kindness. And his name - the way he wrote it. Completely illegible.  :rir:

About that Zahovic transfer, he didn't want to go to Olympiakos. He had agreed terms with Valencia, and then requested Porto president to go to Spain. Pinto da Costa didn't like the way Valencia did things on his back, so he told Zahovic that he was going to be sold to where Porto wants, or he stays at Porto, without playing. He eventually accepted moving to Olympiakos, but in a short period he made the move to Valencia.

Faliro

Citação de: Schweisen Tiger em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 01:04
The thing is, in Portugal, both Porto and Sporting have too much power on portuguese football building. If this was just 11 men against 11 men, pure football, that dominance could be fullfiled. But the way things work, it won't be possible. We will win more, but not in 19 leagues in 20 years base.

Clearly your league is also more competitive than the Greek equivalent was for the last 20 years. However, the one trump card Benfica has is that successive titles do have a psychological snowball effect on your domestic rivals. I watched the highlights of the Porto game, I think since I joined this forum, I have never seen Porto so lost. Seems even their fans are becoming confused. It was the same recipe for Olympiacos in the 96-87 season. We never looked back afterwards. We were just consistent, the other teams destroyed themselves.

I remember those Olympiakos days, watching Georgatos and Giannakoupoulos destroying Porto in CL.

Golden period file mou. We used to called Georgatos 'Trelos Karaflos.' Lit: 'The Crazy bald.' Mad man, but great to watch.

Olympiakos drawed within 5 or 10 minutes to finish the game, thanks to a magnificent performance of a man that even nowadays, gives us big smiles when we remember him: Ivica Kralj.

I remember we bought Zahovic off them the following the year. What a brat he was, but a fine talent nonetheless.

Incidently the much loved, completely mad Olympiacos keeper was in that game, Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos. Insanely good shot blocker, penalty saver. Insanely bad mistakes throughout his career. I bumped into him in Athens Airport and got his autograph when I was a teenager - Karembeu was there and I got his also. I had no paper so they both signed inside my passport that i only found out later was illegal. Dimitri was reading one of the trash Olympiacos sports papers - maybe Fos? I posted an article about Eletherpoulos a while ago. Came from very humble beginnings - literal poverty in Piraeus. But the guy had a massive heart. A fascinating insight.

https://www.contra.gr/synentefxeis/o-dimitris-eleytheropoylos-den-anikei-se-kanenan-pia.7443696.html

However, I laugh when I remember him signing my passport. Such a friendly guy. So much kindness. And his name - the way he wrote it. Completely illegible.  :rir:

About that Zahovic transfer, he didn't want to go to Olympiakos. He had agreed terms with Valencia, and then requested Porto president to go to Spain. Pinto da Costa didn't like the way Valencia did things on his back, so he told Zahovic that he was going to be sold to where Porto wants, or he stays at Porto, without playing. He eventually accepted moving to Olympiakos, but in a short period he made the move to Valencia.

Never knew this. Explains a lot..

IPASLB

Congrats! One more step and the group stage is yours!

StellaRojas

Citação de: Cloughie em 13 de Agosto de 2019, 23:41
Benfica's failures are Porto's fuel.

And the other way around.

The same here..But Young Boys in Belgrade..I know at least one person from Partizan who will rejoice:

Covenant

Good luck against Krasnodar, even if they made us a favor.😂

Godescalco

Eleftheropoulos was a legend in his own right.

It's a shame Oly didn't move past the quarter finals of the CL in their heyday. They were pretty close to doing it in 1999 but a goal from Conte in Piraeus 5 minutes from the end denied them the dream.

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 14 de Agosto de 2019, 20:10

Eleftheropoulos was a legend in his own right.

It's a shame Oly didn't move past the quarter finals of the CL in their heyday. They were pretty close to doing it in 1999 but a goal from Conte in Piraeus 5 minutes from the end denied them the dream.

There is a chance Olympiacos will that competitive again one day. Although many of the Greeks themselves don't see it, Greek football has turned a corner and will begin to dominate the entire Balkan region again. From there it can launch some more direct attempts in Europe.

StellaRojas

Aderfe, should we be afraid of Natkho, or he has kicked the bucket?  :coolsmiley:

Faliro

Citação de: StellaRojas em 19 de Agosto de 2019, 09:38
Aderfe, should we be afraid of Natkho, or he has kicked the bucket?  :coolsmiley:

If they play him him as a deep 10 - which I suspect they will, you have nothing to fear as long as you keep a man on him, press him and don't give him 5 seconds to wonder on the ball and start to look around. He has lost what little pace he had. If you keep a player in or around his face, his impact is minimal. He is not the same Natkho that played for PAOK all those years ago that can dictate games like before. He still wants to, but he is a shadow of what he was, so don't let him get his confidence up and don't give him time to look for those diagonal balls he likes so much. Keep him tightly marked and he is easy to remove from the equation.

O0 O0 O0

StellaRojas

Citação de: Faliro em 19 de Agosto de 2019, 16:25
Citação de: StellaRojas em 19 de Agosto de 2019, 09:38

If they play him him as a deep 10 - which I suspect they will, you have nothing to fear as long as you keep a man on him, press him and don't give him 5 seconds to wonder on the ball and start to look around. He has lost what little pace he had. If you keep a player in or around his face, his impact is minimal. He is not the same Natkho that played for PAOK all those years ago that can't dictate games anymore like before. He still wants to, but he is a shadow of what he was, so don't let him get his confidence up and don't give him time to look for those diagonal balls he likes so much. Keep him tightly marked and he is easy to remove from the equation.

O0 O0 O0

Thanks!  O0 Sounds manageable :drunk:

Festivus

Faliro, this is off-topic but I'm sure you don't mind if I ask you this here:

How many countries have you travelled to? Just curious. :)

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 20 de Agosto de 2019, 16:53
Faliro, this is off-topic but I'm sure you don't mind if I ask you this here:

How many countries have you travelled to? Just curious. :)

O0

Red Eyes