Faliro

What most you guys do on a sunday?

T1n0_SLB

Shopping, football, beach . . .

JIPI

Sunday is football watching day.

T1n0_SLB

Festivus

Can't speak for the others, but Sunday is the day of the week where I spend the highest amount of time at home. It's just a day for me to stay at home and relax, since there's not much to do outside due to most stores being closed and people from the suburban cities/towns not commuting to the big city. Hell, in August, Lisbon is pretty much a ghost town, especially on Sundays.

TheRedRanger

For middle class and most traditional families Sunday is a day to lunch in a restaurant and then go to a park/beach or go on a day trip somewhere.

In the last few years with no money and more dysfunctional families there's a lot more of staying at home or just go to the nearest cafe/shopping center (our urban areas have 1 shopping center per person).

Are greek sundays different?

cmenezes

Spend some time with the family, go to church (occasionally), go to the beach, play/watch football.

Faliro

Thanks for the info guys.

Greek sundays usually involve the beach. Athens is empty in the summer, but in the old days the families would all go to the beaches. Inland holidaymakers would make a big meal for the whole family on sunday. People would relax, siesta, TV, fix the car,moto peacefully, coffee etc

I think sunday is just a lazy day everywhere. I think many of these traditions have changed the last 20 years. About opening hours on Sunday. the Greek Government recently decided to allow sunday hours. There were riots as smaller businesses said only the big sores will make money.. so the Government repealed it last week... everything will still be closed on Sundays..

T1n0_SLB

Citação de: Festivus em 15 de Setembro de 2014, 04:08
Can't speak for the others, but Sunday is the day of the week where I spend the highest amount of time at home. It's just a day for me to stay at home and relax, since there's not much to do outside due to most stores being closed and people from the suburban cities/towns not commuting to the big city. Hell, in August, Lisbon is pretty much a ghost town, especially on Sundays.

Not

Festivus

Citação de: T1n0_SLB em 15 de Setembro de 2014, 14:29

Not
Maybe not in places like Amadora, Margem Sul, Odivelas, etc. but here in the "Concelho" it kinda is.

T1n0_SLB

Citação de: Festivus em 15 de Setembro de 2014, 14:33
Citação de: T1n0_SLB em 15 de Setembro de 2014, 14:29

Not
Maybe not in places like Amadora, Margem Sul, Odivelas, etc. but here in the "Concelho" it kinda is.

I was talking about Lisboa, not those places. Lisboa is not a ghost city any month of the year.
In Agust you'll find it full of tourist and emigrants.

Faliro

What do u consider the best dishes (food) of portugal?

fyure

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Setembro de 2014, 15:08
What do u consider the best dishes (food) of portugal?
Faliro, last saturday I went to the 'vindima' (the grape picking) and, as usual, after the work all the people went on to eat some 'stone soup'. It's like a family tradition.

Stone Soup is good.

Faliro

fyure

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Setembro de 2014, 16:42
Stone soup??  :huh:
Yup. Sopa da pedra, the portuguese name. It is a soup made manly of meat, pork meat, chorizo (chouriço), pudding (morcela, negra, farinheira), and some other things like potatoes and red beans. It is the traditional dish of Almeirim, in the province of Ribatejo. I'm from another city from this pronvince and we eat it some times too.

The name cames frome a legend. It is said that the recipe was given by a friar who carried a stone on his bad. Every time he had to eat during his pilgrimage, he asked people to let him go inside their homes and prepare a soup mad of the stone he had. Then he asked for other condiments and the soup would be done. The stone, it self, was only an excuse to people let him try to make that soup. How can he make a soup out of a stone ? Well, i fact he couldn't, it was only a way to provide him the necessary to make a really good soup.

People still usually put a stone on the pan, or in the terrine were the soup is served.