Portuguese culture

Faliro

Covenant

Faliro

Just to remind you all, this is the type of Portuguese language skills I am confronted with:

https://www.facebook.com/mariadagloria.athayde/videos/2695593914035022

fyure

Citação de: Faliro em 18 de Novembro de 2020, 22:42
Just to remind you all, this is the type of Portuguese language skills I am confronted with:
:rir:

Faliro

Wife made this today, bacalhoada.

Celticfan

Is there a traditional food eaten at the football in Portugal? Obviously now everything is gentrified or the same most places- burgers, chips, cokes etc but what about back in the day?

In Scotland and I think the rest of the UK it's mince pies and Bovril. We usually call them BSE or botulism pies as most are disgusting and either undercooked or rock solid (most stadiums will give you the cheapest and nastiest stuff going and charge a fortune). Kilmarnock in Scotland are famous for being one of the few places that do good mince pies.

Before modern stadiums and kiosks there used to be people that would sell chewing gum and macaroon bars in the ground and that was pretty much your whack. Men would bring in their carry outs of beer, tonic wine etc in the days before alcohol was banned. Children would be lifted over walls to get in and there wasn't much in the way of toilets so people would pee in bottles.

Before/after the games, men would go to the pub and their kids would sit outside with a packet of crisps and a coke or similar.

I know Mexico has it's own food traditions in stadiums.

zefo

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:17
Is there a traditional food eaten at the football in Portugal? Obviously now everything is gentrified or the same most places- burgers, chips, cokes etc but what about back in the day?

In Scotland and I think the rest of the UK it's mince pies and Bovril. We usually call them BSE or botulism pies as most are disgusting and either undercooked or rock solid (most stadiums will give you the cheapest and nastiest stuff going and charge a fortune). Kilmarnock in Scotland are famous for being one of the few places that do good mince pies.

Before modern stadiums and kiosks there used to be people that would sell chewing gum and macaroon bars in the ground and that was pretty much your whack. Men would bring in their carry outs of beer, tonic wine etc in the days before alcohol was banned. Children would be lifted over walls to get in and there wasn't much in the way of toilets so people would pee in bottles.

Before/after the games, men would go to the pub and their kids would sit outside with a packet of crisps and a coke or similar.

Bifanas e coiratos but the true not the shit made by Gordon Ramsey

Bifana

Coirato

Celticfan

Citação de: zefo em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:20

Bifana

Coirato

What are they chicken and beef?

zefo

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:24
Citação de: zefo em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:20

Bifana

Coirato

What are they chicken and beef?
Pork both

JustMe

Yup, there is. The glorious bifana (basically, a seasoned/marinated pork steak in a bun, preferably with lots of mustard) paired with a cold beer. Absolutely heavenly.

Celticfan

Citação de: JustMe em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:27

Yup, there is. The glorious bifana (basically, a seasoned/marinated pork steak in a bun, preferably with lots of mustard) paired with a cold beer. Absolutely heavenly.

It looks good!

We aren't trusted to drink beer at the stadiums in Scotland unless you are in a suite. Rugby fans are though. They banned alcohol after a riot in the 1980 Scottish cup final despite the fact no alcohol was served in stadiums then, it was fans bringing in their own carry outs.

First time I ever had a beer watching football was at a MLS game.