Show the town or village of your Grandfather

StellaRojas

Great topic Faliro!

I'm from Belgrade, but both of my parents came there to study, from different parts of former Yugoslavia.

My maternal grandfather's village in Herzegovina is at the bottom of the lake. They were building a dam and an artificial lake, so they flooded the village. They received a compensation to build houses in the neighbouring town of Trebinje, one of my favorite places, where I go to relax.

Trebinje has a population of 32.000 it is 40 km away from Dubrovnik and Mostar. It has a prominent role in our culture and history as it is a hometown of many famous people: two of our best actors of younger generation, famous Serbian poet Jovan Ducic, Serbian Saint Vasilije Ostroški. People there are exceptionally tall and well-built so a number of our celebrated basketball players were born there or hail from there: Bodiroga, Gurovic, Radmanovic, Danilovic. Also football players: Gacinovic, Cimirot and Vladimir Gudelj who played for Celta. FK Leotar Trebinje was the first champion of BiH league.

This is my paternal grandafather's small village in Montenegro, on the mountain Durmitor, near the canyon of river Tara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn_vdDIoWWQ

Faliro

Citação de: JDiogo20 em 15 de Março de 2018, 07:45
Pampilhosa da Serra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijN3X-EL4mQ

Once again- very beautiful countryside, but also in the 21st century. Looks like nice people there too.

Faliro

Citação de: StellaRojas em 15 de Março de 2018, 11:02
Great topic Faliro!

I'm from Belgrade, but both of my parents came there to study, from different parts of former Yugoslavia.

My maternal grandfather's village in Herzegovina is at the bottom of the lake. They were building a dam and an artificial lake, so they flooded the village. They received a compensation to build houses in the neighbouring town of Trebinje, one of my favorite places, where I go to relax.

Trebinje has a population of 32.000 it is 40 km away from Dubrovnik and Mostar. It has a prominent role in our culture and history as it is a hometown of many famous people: two of our best actors of younger generation, famous Serbian poet Jovan Ducic, Serbian Saint Vasilije Ostroški. People there are exceptionally tall and well-built so a number of our celebrated basketball players were born there or hail from there: Bodiroga, Gurovic, Radmanovic, Danilovic. Also football players: Gacinovic, Cimirot and Vladimir Gudelj who played for Celta. FK Leotar Trebinje was the first champion of BiH league.

This is my paternal grandafather's small village in Montenegro, on the mountain Durmitor, near the canyon of river Tara:

Very pretty setting. So that is where Bodiroga is from the PAO hero.. :knuppel2: But he was with Barcelona so I am fine.. ;D

Montenegro town is very special.

Faliro

StellaRojas

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Março de 2018, 11:47
Citação de: StellaRojas em 15 de Março de 2018, 11:02
Great topic Faliro!

Very pretty setting. So that is where Bodiroga is from the PAO hero.. :knuppel2: But he was with Barcelona so I am fine.. ;D

Montenegro town is very special.

Bodiroga supports all the wrong teams >:( Paternal family of Drazen Petrovic is also from these parts. He is Bodiroga's cousin in fact.

andereberna

My grandparents from my fathers side were from Coimbra. A city famous for its university.

University

From my mothers side, my grandparents came from Viseu

As for myself, i live in a small town called Linhó very close to the touristic village of Sintra.
One of the most beautiful places in the world to me.

Faliro

Citação de: andereberna em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:14
My grandparents from my fathers side were from Coimbra. A city famous for its university.

University

From my mothers side, my grandparents came from Viseu

Coimbra a very pretty place as we have seen on this forum a few times. Viseu looks like it was once a hill fort of some description. 

andereberna

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:17

Coimbra a very pretty place as we have seen on this forum a few times. Viseu looks like it was once a hill fort of some description. 
I've never been to Viseu. Maybe this year... and take my grandmother with me. She's allways talking about the town. :)

I've edited the post and also showed were i live. I think it's a cool thing to add on our posts. Because it shows to were our families migrated.

andereberna

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Março de 2018, 11:43
Citação de: JDiogo20 em 15 de Março de 2018, 07:45
Pampilhosa da Serra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijN3X-EL4mQ

Once again- very beautiful countryside, but also in the 21st century. Looks like nice people there too.
Portugal big citys are almost all concentrated on the atlantic side of our country, close to the Ocean.

For decades, there was almost no investment on the interior of the country, but things are starting to change :)

Faliro

Citação de: andereberna em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:22

I've never been to Viseu. Maybe this year... and take my grandmother with me. She's allways talking about the town. :)

I've edited the post and also showed were i live. I think it's a cool thing to add on our posts. Because it shows to were our families migrated.

Linhó looks extremely idyllic. Very eclectic look.

andereberna

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:26

That's Sintra. Linhó is just very very close but so tiny that there's no pictures besides a Prison :rir:

Faliro

Citação de: andereberna em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:27

That's Sintra. Linhó is just very very close but so tiny that there's no pictures besides a Prison :rir:

:rir:

andereberna

Citação de: Faliro em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:37
Citação de: andereberna em 15 de Março de 2018, 12:27

:rir:
Good neighbors. Never leave home. :rir: