Torino Football Club

pcssousa

Here you can discuss all subject related to Torino F.C.

Godescalco

kneissl

Godescalco

Il Grande Torino 1948/49. The last season of their lives.

Godescalco

In the summer of 1939, industrialist Ferruccio Novo assumed presidency of Torino. Novo had began playing for Torino at a young age in 1913, but was not a great player ("I was a duffer," he would say, smiling). With his brother, he started a factory of leather accessories. Following the advice of Vittorio Pozzo, Novo surrounded himself with competent staff including Antonio Janni and Mario Spur (domestic champions of 1927–28). Lievesley Leslie was given the role of youth coach, while technical guide was given to Ernest Erbstein.

Novo's first move was to buy talented eighteen year old Franco Ossola from Varese under the suggestion of Janni (who had trained with Varese). In hindsight, this would be the first piece of the squad, costing 55 thousand lire. As Italy entered the Second World War, Novo took advantage of the climate of stagnation and lack of investment in Italian football. Before the 1941–42 season, Novo would buy an additional five players: left winger Pietro Ferraris from Ambrosiana-Inter for 250,000 lire, Romeo Menti from Fiorentina, a fast winger with a powerful shot (exchanged with Gei, specially taken from Liguria for 300,000 lire), then Alfredo Bodoira, Felice Borel and Guglielmo Gabetto from "enemies" Juventus.

Borel, who would later become Torino coach, suggested that Novo apply a new tactic called sistema (system) at Torino. At the time, Italian teams had been using the defensive metodo (method) strategy popularised by Vittorio Pozzo's Italy that won the 1938 World Cup. Novo approved the suggestion and decided to set up his Torino with this tactic. In 1942, the final pieces of the team arrived in Ezio Loik and Valentino Mazzola from Venezia for 1,400,000 lire. That year, Torino won its second Scudetto, securing it on the last day of the season with a goal from Mazzola against Bari. Torino also won the 1942–43 Coppa Italia, becoming the first team to win both championships in the same year.

The league returned to a single round format with 20 teams in 1946–47. Danilo Martelli arrived from Brescia, as well as Rosetta Francis from Novara and Dante Plans from Pro Vercelli.

In 1947–48, Torino was still coached by Luigi Ferrero. They won the championship with a ten-point advantage over Juventus after accumulating a sixteen match unbeaten streak, of which fourteen are victories. The team scored 104 goals, with Valentino Mazzola league top scorer. The 1947–48 was the longest in the history of Italian football, played by 21 teams for geopolitical reasons. Mario Sperone took over as coach. After a defeat in the second day to Bari, Torino won 6–0 at Lucchese and 7–0 at Roma. In 1947, Torino recorded its biggest ever home win in Torino-Alessandria 10–0. The season ended with Torino in first place and a 16 point advantage, with 6 consecutive victories. In particular, after going 3–0 down to Lazio, the team is able to overturn the result with 2 goals from Eusebio Castigliano, 1 from Guglielmo Gabetto and 1 from captain Mazzola in half an hour. The team finished the season with 29 victories in 40 matches, 125 goals and 33 goals conceded. In 1948–49, Vittorio Pozzo loses his role as coach of Italy and is replaced by Ferruccio Novo. Midfielder Rubens Fadini joined from Gallarate; and goalkeeper Dino Ballarin, brother of Aldo Ballarin from Chioggia. Piero Operto, Giulio Schubert, Emile Bongiorni and Ruggero Grava were also signed. Torino began the season after a tournament in Brazil against Palmeiras, Corinthians, São Paulo and Portuguesa, losing only once. The league was reduced to 20 teams, with Englishman Leslie Lievesley appointed as coach. Torino occasionally dropped from first position throughout the season due to injuries and the long suspension of Aldo Ballarin. On 30 April 1949, Inter was four points from Torino. The teams played directly in Milan with the match ending 0–0, thus winning the fifth consecutive title.

However, the cycle of wins was abruptly ended on 4 May 1949, when the plane carrying the entire team (returning from a friendly in Lisbon) crashed into the retaining wall behind the Basilica di Superga. The Superga Tragedy, claimed the lives of the entire team, the reserves, two managers (Agnisetta and Civalleri), technicians Egri Erbstein and Leslie Lievesley, the masseur Cortina and three journalists in tow: Luigi Cavallero, Renato Tosatti and Renato Casalbore.

rdr10

Elvis the Pelvis

The team i remeber from Torino, was the one from the early 90's with Schiffo, Martin Vasquez, Lentini, etc. That was a good team, they even lost a UEFA Cup final to Ajax in 1992, if i remeber correctly.

Obviously i don't remember Torino's team from the 40's, but Bola7 probably does.

JJ SLB

My second club.
It represents the immortality of football, the drama, the resurrection and the true values.
Great badge and colors.
It is linked with
Benfica. Eternal, no matter where (Serie A, B, Europe, ...)!

Covenant

Torino and Roma are my clubs in Italy.

Imortal10

Torino, you have all my respect and admiration. Thanks for all your support in Turin!

Godescalco

Ávaro "El Chino" Recoba con la maglia granata:

Godescalco

Here's the link to Torino's forum:

http://forum.toronews.net/index.php

And a fantastic fan page, regularly updated:

http://www.cuoretoro.it/

Zimmerman

Amazing club!

Grande tiffosi too.

Benfica and Torino are like brothers. I hope Torino play a game in August here in Lisbon for the Eusebio Cup.

Godescalco

A truly legendary player who also had the opportunity to play for Toro:

Godescalco

And who doesn't remember Lentini?