Faliro's Jokes

Faliro

Jotenko

Castro_SLB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfFx5UvzSxc

Too bad they removed the original.

@Faliro how accurate is this?

Also, how do you feel about plebs using sigma as an E?

Faliro

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 10 de Dezembro de 2021, 14:42

Well I think Turks have a lot of Greek blood in them.. and Armenian, gypsy, Ciricassian, Iranian, Syrian, Kurdish, slav etc. All peoples native to Anatolia were encouraged to convert to Islam under the Ottomans or in many cases force converted..  and became Turkish. Those Greeks that refused are now what is left of the Greek people on this planet. Greek DNA is fairly boring.. Greeks are not that mixed.. most look the same. Occasionally you will find some small slav strands in there.. around 5% but not much else. Cypriots are far more exotic genetically. Greeks however have not mixed too much historically and that may be to their detriment. I can usually spot a Greek just by how they look..

As for the misuse of the Greek alphabet.. meh.. it doesn't bother me too much. However the Greek alphabet literally takes about 10 minutes to learn so I am amazed how so many people don't bother.. the Greek language is actually very simple to learn. I would put it with Spanish in difficulty terms.

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Faliro em 10 de Dezembro de 2021, 18:33

Well I think Turks have a lot of Greek blood in them.. and Armenian, gypsy, Ciricassian, Iranian, Syrian, Kurdish, slav etc. All peoples native to Anatolia were encouraged to convert to Islam under the Ottomans or in many cases force converted..  and became Turkish. Those Greeks that refused are now what is left of the Greek people on this planet. Greek DNA is fairly boring.. Greeks are not that mixed.. most look the same. Occasionally you will find some small slav strands in there.. around 5% but not much else. Cypriots are far more exotic genetically. Greeks however have not mixed too much historically and that may be to their detriment. I can usually spot a Greek just by how they look..

As for the misuse of the Greek alphabet.. meh.. it doesn't bother me too much. However the Greek alphabet literally takes about 10 minutes to learn so I am amazed how so many people don't bother.. the Greek language is actually very simple to learn. I would put it with Spanish in difficulty terms.
Yes, the Greek alphabet is fairly easy to learn, even more so if you know a bit of math, although, I have to say it is weird that you guys have a letter that looks like the Latin "p"(ρ), but actually represents the "r" sound (or rather rho); and also, from what I gathered, you guys have a couple of different letters to represent the sound "o" etc.

As for the difficulty... well, it is simple for you, sure, it is your native language, but Spanish for most of us (Portuguese) is very easy and we can understand it without even learning it.

But I do want to learn Greek (especially Ancient Greek) to read the classics. ;D

As for the video, I just found it to be a funny exchange, despite the harsh language used, they were respectful enough to let each other finish their sentences. ;D

Faliro

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 10 de Dezembro de 2021, 18:45

Yes, the Greek alphabet is fairly easy to learn, even more so if you know a bit of math, although, I have to say it is weird that you guys have a letter that looks like the Latin "p"(ρ), but actually represents the "r" sound (or rather rho); and also, from what I gathered, you guys have a couple of different letters to represent the sound "o" etc.

As for the difficulty... well, it is simple for you, sure, it is your native language, but Spanish for most of us (Portuguese) is very easy and we can understand it without even learning it.

But I do want to learn Greek (especially Ancient Greek) to read the classics. ;D

As for the video, I just found it to be a funny exchange, despite the harsh language used, they were respectful enough to let each other finish their sentences. ;D

My native tongue is English. My connection with Greece is a Greek grandfather who raised my mother (his daughter) as a Greek and she did pretty much the same with me. My Greek to this day is not excellent, but I get by. My mother did not speak to me in Greek as boy often, just occasionally as 99% it was English. I did a few classes in Greek but the way it was taught was ridiculous.  Once you sit down and look at the verb structure it is is very simple and reminiscent of something like Spanish - no need for personal pronouns etc. The past tense is very easy to construct and almost musical. Future is also easily constructed. Interestingly, and there is debate on this, provided the Greek guy in question has an IQ over a 100... I truly believe he could go back to 5th Century Greece and effectively communicate with locals. Of course he would have to improvise at times but Greek is surprisingly and perhaps bizarrely well preserved from ancient times. Of course Byzantine Greek changed a few things but so many words and verbs are unchanged. It is simply insane. To put it into context, as an Englishman, I am not convinced I could effectively communicate with 11AD brits. Hell, I can't even communicate with contemporary Liverpudlians..

As for the letters, what is more annoying for me is the diphthongs. There are easy ones like nt = a hard "d" instead of the soft rolling Δ. But others are more subtle like αυ giving an "aft" sound.
As for Portuguese,  I speak it badly and my accent may be bizarre to you because I probably have a Mineiro accent due to living there a year. I found Spanish far easier than Portuguese... I mean who can forget me going into a bakery in Brazil asking for fresh pau instead of pão..  >:(

My annoyances with Greek are remembering which nouns are masculine, feminine or neutral as you have to marry everything up.

As for the video, I have Turkish friends. The best way to maintain those friendships is to not discuss the past too much and not mock their football teams too often..  :crazy2: Many turks are still angry at Greece and many Greeks still refuse to see Turks as legitimate to the region.

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Faliro em 10 de Dezembro de 2021, 22:45

My native tongue is English. My connection with Greece is a Greek grandfather who raised my mother (his daughter) as a Greek and she did pretty much the same with me. My Greek to this day is not excellent, but I get by. My mother did not speak to me in Greek as boy often, just occasionally as 99% it was English. I did a few classes in Greek but the way it was taught was ridiculous.  Once you sit down and look at the verb structure it is is very simple and reminiscent of something like Spanish - no need for personal pronouns etc. The past tense is very easy to construct and almost musical. Future is also easily constructed. Interestingly, and there is debate on this, provided the Greek guy in question has an IQ over a 100... I truly believe he could go back to 5th Century Greece and effectively communicate with locals. Of course he would have to improvise at times but Greek is surprisingly and perhaps bizarrely well preserved from ancient times. Of course Byzantine Greek changed a few things but so many words and verbs are unchanged. It is simply insane. To put it into context, as an Englishman, I am not convinced I could effectively communicate with 11AD brits. Hell, I can't even communicate with contemporary Liverpudlians..

As for the letters, what is more annoying for me is the diphthongs. There are easy ones like nt = a hard "d" instead of the soft rolling Δ. But others are more subtle like αυ giving an "aft" sound.
As for Portuguese,  I speak it badly and my accent may be bizarre to you because I probably have a Mineiro accent due to living there a year. I found Spanish far easier than Portuguese... I mean who can forget me going into a bakery in Brazil asking for fresh pau instead of pão..  >:(

My annoyances with Greek are remembering which nouns are masculine, feminine or neutral as you have to marry everything up.

As for the video, I have Turkish friends. The best way to maintain those friendships is to not discuss the past too much and not mock their football teams too often..  :crazy2: Many turks are still angry at Greece and many Greeks still refuse to see Turks as legitimate to the region.
That is also what I've heard, that Greek nowadays is still somewhat close to the Greek spoken in the time of Socrates and Plato (however not so similar to Homeric Greek), which is a bit odd... romance languages are all distinct from Latin, even Italian or Sardinian which are the closest ones...

As for your portuguese accent, well, european portuguese specifically is quite difficult to master, I think. Even though portuguese is a romance language, I would say that phonetically it is closer to russian than to say spanish or italian. Even brazillians have a hard time understanding us sometimes. If your native language were greek you would have a better accent, I think.

Samaris' accent is pretty good, you can still tell that he is a foreigner, but some words are pronounced perfectly, and sometimes it almost seems like he is speaking in a northern portuguese accent. And it is not the first time I've heard a greek person speak really good portuguese, accent-wise.

Espártaco

You should.  ;D
As your last post, modern Greek is not that similar to Attic Greek and even least to Socrates and Plato.
As Greece became independent in the 1830s the incipient Greek government adopted the katharevousa, a tentative plan to restore some of the Ancient Greek, but most of the common people spoked Demotic, a type of Greek that had several dialects. At last, a patronized version of the Demotic "won" the battle and we have several turkisms and other "barbarisms" inside it. And the spoken language is even more different. Even a learned Ancient Greek spoken person would have difficulties speaking with a Modern Greek speaker. He would catch some words and maybe pick up some things but he would not understand most of them.
As for the Classical Greek: it is also much different because they have several dialects and even the degrees inside the same dialect. For example. Plato's Apology is way much easier to read than the latter Timaeus. Aristotle is way much more difficult than Plato in general and Thucydides is a complete nightmare.
The so-called Homeric Greek is, in fact, the Ionic dialect - beside Homer and Hesiod we have Herodotus that wrote his Histories in that dialect too - and it is way easier than any Classical Greek, except, of course, the Koine Greek. And we have some other dialects: Aeloic and Doric that have some substantial differences. If you will learn Ancient Greek, I bet that they will begin with the New Testament that is the most basic of Ancient Greek. So, buy the New Testament in Greek or The Septuagint (the Old Testament in Greek).
And the irony is that an Italian would, as he began to learn Latin from a young age, understand much better Latin than a Greek because, as I know, in Greece, they do not pay too much attention to Ancient Greek. Nevertheless, a common Greek would read Plato as we read an XIII Century Portuguese document or a Galician-Portuguese work. They will not understand at all, but will catch the sense.

Faliro

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 10 de Dezembro de 2021, 23:39

That is also what I've heard, that Greek nowadays is still somewhat close to the Greek spoken in the time of Socrates and Plato (however not so similar to Homeric Greek), which is a bit odd... romance languages are all distinct from Latin, even Italian or Sardinian which are the closest ones...

As for your portuguese accent, well, european portuguese specifically is quite difficult to master, I think. Even though portuguese is a romance language, I would say that phonetically it is closer to russian than to say spanish or italian. Even brazillians have a hard time understanding us sometimes. If your native language were greek you would have a better accent, I think.

Samaris' accent is pretty good, you can still tell that he is a foreigner, but some words are pronounced perfectly, and sometimes it almost seems like he is speaking in a northern portuguese accent. And it is not the first time I've heard a greek person speak really good portuguese, accent-wise.

Well Homer itself is poetry so it will always be more complicated regardless. It is structured to be spoken or sung to music. Homeric Greek itself, spoken everyday, may have been more simple.

As for the Portuguese accent, yes very hard I can barely understand Martins.. it is too closed. What would be curious is a Portuguese guy speaking Greek.. Luciano (Brazilian) speaks Greek very well. Barely an accent but a strong smell of Brazilian pacing in his sentences..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=96Gwt5rp7WI

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Faliro em 11 de Dezembro de 2021, 13:10
Citação de: Castro_SLB em 10 de Dezembro de 2021, 23:39

Well Homer itself is poetry so it will always be more complicated regardless. It is structured to be spoken or sung to music. Homeric Greek itself, spoken everyday, may have been more simple.

As for the Portuguese accent, yes very hard I can barely understand Martins.. it is too closed. What would be curious is a Portuguese guy speaking Greek.. Luciano (Brazilian) speaks Greek very well. Barely an accent but a strong smell of Brazilian pacing in his sentences..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=96Gwt5rp7WI
Is he the dude in the glasses? I can immediately tell that he is Brazillian. ;D

Don't mean to sound xenophobic, but brazillians often completely butcher accents, (although the portuguese are not that much better, usually).

From what I've read, spanish is fairly close (phonetically speaking) to Greek, but with enough training, I think everyone can do a very good job at speaking another language, in terms of accent. Just look at the guy from the youtube channel polýMATHY, he is an american and has one of the best Latin accents I've heard. Also, he speaks what it seems, to me anyway, a very good Ancient Greek.

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Espártaco em 11 de Dezembro de 2021, 13:08
You should.  ;D
As your last post, modern Greek is not that similar to Attic Greek and even least to Socrates and Plato.
As Greece became independent in the 1830s the incipient Greek government adopted the katharevousa, a tentative plan to restore some of the Ancient Greek, but most of the common people spoked Demotic, a type of Greek that had several dialects. At last, a patronized version of the Demotic "won" the battle and we have several turkisms and other "barbarisms" inside it. And the spoken language is even more different. Even a learned Ancient Greek spoken person would have difficulties speaking with a Modern Greek speaker. He would catch some words and maybe pick up some things but he would not understand most of them.
As for the Classical Greek: it is also much different because they have several dialects and even the degrees inside the same dialect. For example. Plato's Apology is way much easier to read than the latter Timaeus. Aristotle is way much more difficult than Plato in general and Thucydides is a complete nightmare.
The so-called Homeric Greek is, in fact, the Ionic dialect - beside Homer and Hesiod we have Herodotus that wrote his Histories in that dialect too - and it is way easier than any Classical Greek, except, of course, the Koine Greek. And we have some other dialects: Aeloic and Doric that have some substantial differences. If you will learn Ancient Greek, I bet that they will begin with the New Testament that is the most basic of Ancient Greek. So, buy the New Testament in Greek or The Septuagint (the Old Testament in Greek).
And the irony is that an Italian would, as he began to learn Latin from a young age, understand much better Latin than a Greek because, as I know, in Greece, they do not pay too much attention to Ancient Greek. Nevertheless, a common Greek would read Plato as we read an XIII Century Portuguese document or a Galician-Portuguese work. They will not understand at all, but will catch the sense.
Don't tell me you know ancient Greek  :o

For now, I'm learning Latin through Lingva Latina per se illvstrata (and "our friend" Luke Ranieri). I prefer the Lingva Latina method over the more traditional method of memorizing grammar rules + translation of words, and the only source to learn Greek in the "natural method" is Athenaze, which Luke says is not as good as Lingva Latina. But sure, someday I'll learn A. Greek, after I'm "done" with Latin (and German ;D ).

Espártaco

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 11 de Dezembro de 2021, 14:50
You should.  ;D

For now, I'm learning Latin through Lingva Latina per se illvstrata (and "our friend" Luke Ranieri). I prefer the Lingva Latina method over the more traditional method of memorizing grammar rules + translation of words, and the only source to learn Greek in the "natural method" is Athenaze, which Luke says is not as good as Lingva Latina. But sure, someday I'll learn A. Greek, after I'm "done" with Latin (and German ;D ).

Yes, I know a little bit.  ;D 

Well, I am not that methodic and self-taught so I will always recommend that you have proper ancient Latin or Greek classes. Even if you choose virtual classes at any University. Meanwhile, you lost nothing to get into the Lingva Latina per se illvstrata and Athenaze. That internet things are entertaining but, in my opinion, we do not learn that much and it is very incipient. Oh, try to buy a Latin Grammar first -pick this one, for example - https://www.wook.pt/livro/nova-gramatica-do-latim-frederico-lourenco/22336564 - and try to do a summer course to see what level you are. For example, I am not that of an expert of languages so I had to go from the first to the last level but I know people that, with the help of those summer courses, skip a semester or level. We don't have an Ancient Greek Grammar equivalent and I only recommend Portuguese Ancient Greek Grammar when you are at a certain level. That one of Latin is way over more pedagogic.
But the secret of learning ancient languages is to get the day after it so when you will be at Latin or Greek lessons you will have to practice and practice every single day. It is amusing, I know, but it is what it is. 

I think that triumvirate is pretty good. With Latin, Ancient Greek and German you will rule the world.   :metal:

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Espártaco em 11 de Dezembro de 2021, 15:16
Citação de: Castro_SLB em 11 de Dezembro de 2021, 14:50
You should.  ;D

Yes, I know a little bit.  ;D 

Well, I am not that methodic and self-taught so I will always recommend that you have proper ancient Latin or Greek classes. Even if you choose virtual classes at any University. Meanwhile, you lost nothing to get into the Lingva Latina per se illvstrata and Athenaze. That internet things are entertaining but, in my opinion, we do not learn that much and it is very incipient. Oh, try to buy a Latin Grammar first -pick this one, for example - https://www.wook.pt/livro/nova-gramatica-do-latim-frederico-lourenco/22336564 - and try to do a summer course to see what level you are. For example, I am not that of an expert of languages so I had to go from the first to the last level but I know people that, with the help of those summer courses, skip a semester or level. We don't have an Ancient Greek Grammar equivalent and I only recommend Portuguese Ancient Greek Grammar when you are at a certain level. That one of Latin is way over more pedagogic.
But the secret of learning ancient languages is to get the day after it so when you will be at Latin or Greek lessons you will have to practice and practice every single day. It is amusing, I know, but it is what it is. 

I think that triumvirate is pretty good. With Latin, Ancient Greek and German you will rule the world.   :metal:
Maybe someday I'll enroll in some class, but as for now, LLPSI will suffice, if I'm not mistaken even Luke Ranieri was self-taught and he has as good a Latin as one can have today.

I've always prefered to learn things on my own (different strokes for different folks I guess). Even my fluency in english, as a matter of fact, was mostly achieved through self-study. Classes can only take you so far, to truly achieve fluency you need to read a lot in the target language, as well as listen, speak and write(although I never did much of the latter two in english). The problem with english classes (at least from my experience) is that they focus too much on learning grammar rules and translating words from english to portuguese. Now, besides what I learned many years ago in school, I do not know the grammar rules in english (or in portuguese really), I just spent countless hours reading and listening enligsh and trust that I know how to conjugate the verb in the correct tense.

Sure, it might be important to learn the grammar, especially if you want to write flawlessly every single time, but that approach should always come later on when you already have a good grasp of the language itself. Learning grammar helps you refine the language, it shouldn't be the basis of learning the language. That, at least, is my opinion, which is why I prefer LLPSI over anything, and with so much material available the only thing you really need is discipline (which is the only thing you might lack if you're not actually enrolled in some class).

Faliro

@Espártaco. The dialect of my grandfather's town:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nxD4GDJXCw

Sadly he died a month before my birth so i could not ask him about this native dialect to his home town.