Scottish Football 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Covenant

Let's talk about Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibernian etc...

And whisky. 🥃

Celticfan

Has anyone been to a game in Scotland before or a Glasgow derby? May not always be the best football but the crowds and banter piss all over English football.

Covenant

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 16:43
Has anyone been to a game in Scotland before or a Glasgow derby? May not always be the best football but the crowds and banter piss all over English football.
Never.

How difficult is to get a ticket? Especially for the derby...

zefo

I will go to Scotland when i understand anything coming from them.

Jotenko

Do you know anyone who has been in the 1965 Lisbon Final?

Celticfan

Citação de: Covenant em 24 de Junho de 2022, 17:15
Never.

How difficult is to get a ticket? Especially for the derby...

If you ask around early enough a Celtic or Rangers fan would probably find one for you but they don't really go on public sale. It used to be that each fanbase had a full stand for the away support that made the atmosphere really intense but after Celtic kept beating Rangers under Brendan Rodgers, Rangers threw their toys out of the pram and reduced it to the bare minimum away support so Celtic followed suit. They also try play the games at noon now to reduce trouble and stop people drinking (they still drink) but occasionally you'll get a midweek evening game.

It's a weird feeling, you can feel the tension in the city before the game just walking to the stadium etc. Amazing when you win, awful when you don't.

European nights at Celtic Park and Ibrox also have a great atmosphere (some of you may have experienced it when Benfica played there).

The Edinburgh derby is good as well. I hate Hearts but their stadium Tynecastle is a good small stadium. It's right on top of the pitch which leads to a good atmosphere.

Hampden is probably the crappest stadium. It has a ton of history attached to it but they absolutely botched it's rebuild in the late 90's and if you have a seat behind the goals you would be as well staying home. It's pretty cavernous when not full. I hate that the SFA nominate it for tournaments over Celtic Park and Ibrox. In the 1950's it was the biggest stadium in the world before the Maracana was built at the time and supposedly did have a great atmosphere. It still has the attendance record for highest ever European crowd for when Celtic played Leeds United there in the 1970 European cup semi final.

humbug_1904

I Know a guy who went to see a league 2 game in Scotland (he thought it was the second division)

Castro_SLB

Celticfan

Citação de: Jotenko em 24 de Junho de 2022, 17:26

Do you know anyone who has been in the 1965 Lisbon Final?

There's still a few around who went to 1967. Usually people's grand parents or uncles. It's starting to age out though, same with the players from then :( I went to the Estadio Nacional in 2014. It's cool that it is still there, feels like a museum. Walked up to the stadium with my Celtic top and the guards there just laugh and say 'Celtic fan?' and let you walk in and tell you to stay off the grass.

The 1960 European Cup final at Hampden between Real Madrid and Frankfurt was the inspiration for Scottish football back then. A lot of people claim to have went to that game and saw Puskas, DiStefano etc

You'll also here a lot about the 1970 European cup run. We lost the final to Feyenoord at the San Siro. Partly because we underestimated the Dutch before they became a force in the 70's and the players had a falling out with the board over bonus payments. The Semi final against Leeds gets talked about most but you'll also hear about the win over Eusebio's Benfica as we controversially won due to a coin toss. Then advocated to UEFA to change that rule.

Celticfan

Citação de: zefo em 24 de Junho de 2022, 17:17
I will go to Scotland when i understand anything coming from them.

I moved to the US in 2012 and used to be met with blank stares. Even worse if I had to make a phone call. People told me I spoke English really well  ::)

My accent has softened since then and I talk slower and use Americanisms so it's not an issue now but it was tough times back then. I can be understood fine now but it's still very Glaswegian.

Celticfan

Citação de: humbug_1904 em 24 de Junho de 2022, 17:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LRuuqFT0&ab_channel=dassalmighty

We're the most self loathing nation going. We'll tell you everything is shite but as soon as someone English or elsewhere tells us we are shite we go all Braveheart on them.

This especially applies to the Scottish league. We'll moan that it's crap but as soon as someone English who has never watched it tells you it's a farmers league we'll unite.

We're very much a nation that talks down our achievements. Even during the Scottish independence referendum, we must be the only place where having tons of oil sounds like a burden.

Jotenko

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 17:50

We're the most self loathing nation going. We'll tell you everything is shite but as soon as someone English or elsewhere tells us we are shite we go all Braveheart on them.

This especially applies to the Scottish league. We'll moan that it's crap but as soon as someone English who has never watched it tells you it's a farmers league we'll unite.

We're very much a nation that talks down our achievements. Even during the Scottish independence referendum, we must be the only place where having tons of oil sounds like a burden.

That reminds me of some country I know... ;D

JustMe

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 17:50

Well, that certainly sounds familiar.