Scottish Football 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Celticfan

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 24 de Junho de 2022, 21:25
Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 19:33
Citação de: Espártaco em 24 de Junho de 2022, 19:13
Citação de: DBdennisDB em 24 de Junho de 2022, 19:09
ai rilly sinc dat Jota issent de beste plaia for Scotish lige.

h'is a bite RABETA, uid dat haire.

Here comes the smart guy to screw up the topic.  :estrelas:

It won't translate for me to read lol
English with portuguese phonetics.  ^-^

I see it now :)

Celticfan

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 21:34

https://twitter.com/celticfc/status/1491109574539046913 13 seconds in ;)

To put things in perspective, he meant no harm with the "rabeta" (which means something like fag), it's more like an internal joke on the forum. Back when Jota was still playing in Benfica, some users would say that he's a bit cocky (the way he styles his hair), and that is why he didn't succeed.

Celticfan

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 24 de Junho de 2022, 21:49
Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 21:34

https://twitter.com/celticfc/status/1491109574539046913 13 seconds in ;)

To put things in perspective, he meant no harm with the "rabeta" (which means something like fag), it's more like an internal joke on the forum. Back when Jota was still playing in Benfica, some users would say that he's a bit cocky (the way he styles his hair), and that is why he didn't succeed.

Ha no worries. If he signs, Celtic fans will be blasting out George Michael/Wham songs.

Cloughie

Celticfan, how was the feeling of seeing your main rival gone when Rangers got bankrupt?

Celticfan

Citação de: Cloughie em 24 de Junho de 2022, 22:59
Celticfan, how was the feeling of seeing your main rival gone when Rangers got bankrupt?

Amazing and funny as fuck. I was a kid in the 90s when Rangers won 9 in a row and they absolutely lorded it over us and could genuinely spend the same amount as the top English teams. Rangers were the second richest club in Britain and had one of the biggest stadiums at the time. (This was in the infancy of sky tv money). Rangers also benefitted a lot from English teams being banned from Europe in the 1980s and brought in lots of foreign and English talent. In the early 1990s Celtic almost went bust and took years to get back into a contending state. Rangers sugar daddy then got told to reign in spending and debt so they tried a tax avoidance scheme in the early 2000s which made them go bust.

Then seeing the new club struggle up the divisions and not getting promoted in the championship one year. Even now it's funny seeing the hoops they go through to claim they are the same club. Claiming the company that owned the club went bust and claiming they won championship 55 when they didn't do that for the rest of the massive '150th anniversary celebrations'. You can tell it's a major insecurity for them.

Celtic fans now call them sevco as a dig (the company name they set up for the new club which became known as 'the rangers' ) and the club themselves no longer call it the old firm derby and call it the Glasgow derby. Rangers plastered 'this is the old firm' all over ibrox in the last derby there.

How would Benfica fans feel if Sporting or Porto died?

Hischier

Honestly, I've always thought we'd take a lot of recoil damage from either club dying, in the sense that the league would lose enough interest that the club would suffer reputationally and fail to attract the type of talent it used to - and then I met a Celtic fan who was unlucky enough to be one while living in Uddingston, save for how much fun the banter years were.

So now, I'm sold. They can go bust whenever they like as far as I'm concerned.

Castro_SLB

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:23

Amazing and funny as fuck. I was a kid in the 90s when Rangers won 9 in a row and they absolutely lorded it over us and could genuinely spend the same amount as the top English teams. In the early 1990s Celtic almost went bust and took years to get back into a contending state. Rangers sugar daddy then got told to reign in spending and debt so they tried a tax avoidance scheme in the early 2000s which made them go bust.

Then seeing the new club struggle up the divisions and not getting promoted in the championship one year. Even now it's funny seeing the hoops they go through to claim they are the same club. Claiming the company that owned the club went bust and claiming they won championship 55 when they didn't do that for the rest of the massive '150th anniversary celebrations'. You can tell it's a major insecurity for them.

Celtic fans now call them sevco as a dig (the company name they set up for the new club which became known as 'the rangers' ) and the club themselves no longer call it the old firm derby and call it the Glasgow derby. Rangers plastered 'this is the old firm' all over ibrox in the last derby there.

Sporting, meh, they're just annoying really, and I have fond memories of making fun of my schoolmates who were Sporting supporters. Thankfully, I live near Lisbon, so I only had the odd portista in my class.

Now, Porto it's another story, we'd all celebrate if they just went away. They're as corrupt, if not more, as Juventus. Seriously, you can google it, "apito dourado" (which means golden whistle), if you're not aware. There are audios you can listen to as well on youtube, where we can listen to Pinto da Costa (Porto's president) literally buying out refs. Unfortunately, the evidence was not accepted by the court, as they were deemed illegally obtained.

Honestly, just a big mafia.

Celticfan

Citação de: Hischier em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:32
Honestly, I've always thought we'd take a lot of recoil damage from either club dying, in the sense that the league would lose enough interest that the club would suffer reputationally and fail to attract the type of talent it used to - and then I met a Celtic fan who was unlucky enough to be one while living in Uddingston, save for how much fun the banter years were.

It was honestly a lost opportunity for us. We had a free run at champions league qualification and messed it up. We qualified the first season they went bust and made the last 16 beating Barcelona on the way...and Benfica I think? After that our board got super cheap and decided we would win the league anyway and bought absolute cheap duds and at the time a relatively rookie manager in Ronnie Deila. We then sold Van Dijk, Wanyama and Hooper and basically sat on the money and decided the Europa league was enough.

We should have invested and kept trying to make the champions league and brought through more young players with less pressure on the team.

We lost a Scottish cup semi final to Rangers when they were in the championship which was a reality check and the next season brought in Brendan Rodgers and backed him.

Under our old CEO we half arsed a lot of stuff. We never built from a position of strength. I'm hoping with the new CEO and current manager we can build something long term. The new manager seems to really know how to scout players and I'm hoping can fix the youth academy.

Celticfan

Citação de: Castro_SLB em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:39
Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:23

Amazing and funny as fuck. I was a kid in the 90s when Rangers won 9 in a row and they absolutely lorded it over us and could genuinely spend the same amount as the top English teams. In the early 1990s Celtic almost went bust and took years to get back into a contending state. Rangers sugar daddy then got told to reign in spending and debt so they tried a tax avoidance scheme in the early 2000s which made them go bust.

Sporting, meh, they're just annoying really, and I have fond memories of making fun of my schoolmates who were Sporting supporters. Thankfully, I live near Lisbon, so I only had the odd portista in my class.

Now, Porto it's another story, we'd all celebrate if they just went away. They're as corrupt, if not more, as Juventus. Seriously, you can google it, "apito dourado" (which means golden whistle), if you're not aware. There are audios you can listen to as well on youtube, where we can listen to Pinto da Costa (Porto's president) literally buying out refs. Unfortunately, the evidence was not accepted by the court, as they were deemed illegally obtained.

Honestly, just a big mafia.

A lot of Celtic fans are still bitter at Porto for the 2003 uefa cup final. I'll admit Porto were probably the better team (though if Hartson had been fit or we had a goalie who don't sell they jerseys who knows) but the play acting and time wasting from Derlei, Deco and Victor Baia pissed a lot of people off against a weak referee. There was no need for it and they probably would have won without it.

Most have came round to Mourinho.

I felt awful for Larsson that night he had some game  it felt like a redemption when he won the Champions League with Barcelona by setting up the 2 goals even though he was older by then.

We haven't interacted with Sporting much barring a European game in the mid 90s when Cadete played for them.

Hischier

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:42

It was honestly a lost opportunity for us. We had a free run at champions league qualification and messed it up. We qualified the first season they went bust and made the last 16 beating Barcelona on the way...and Benfica I think? After that our board got super cheap and decided we would win the league anyway and bought absolute cheap duds and at the time a relatively rookie manager in Ronnie Deila. We then sold Van Dijk, Wanyama and Hooper and basically sat on the money and decided the Europa league was enough.

We should have invested and kept trying to make the champions league and brought through more young players with less pressure on the team.

We lost a Scottish cup semi final to Rangers when they were in the championship which was a reality check and the next season brought in Brendan Rodgers and backed him.

Under our old CEO we half arsed a lot of stuff. We never built from a position of strength. I'm hoping with the new CEO and current manager we can build something long term. The new manager seems to really know how to scout players and I'm hoping can fix the youth academy.

That's a really interesting look at it, and tracks with what I think is the right way to think about it now. We're now in a spot where consistent Champions League appearances are worth more than the domestic TV money, so why would you possibly mind what in this league would be a free shot at it?

But yes, as someone has already said, much rather it be at the expense of Porto than Sporting. Sporting are annoying, yes, but in much the same way that a little brother is annoying. Porto's continued impunity and survival in the top flight is to the active detriment to the development of this nation and an affront to the meaning of the word "sport" itself

Celticfan

Citação de: Hischier em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:51

That's a really interesting look at it, and tracks with what I think is the right way to think about it now. We're now in a spot where consistent Champions League appearances are worth more than the domestic TV money, so why would you possibly mind what in this league would be a free shot at it?

But yes, as someone has already said, much rather it be at the expense of Porto than Sporting. Sporting are annoying, yes, but in much the same way that a little brother is annoying. Porto's continued impunity and survival in the top flight is to the active detriment to the development of this nation and an affront to the meaning of the word "sport" itself

Our old CEO was so risk averse it was frustrating. They wouldnt sanction new signings till AFTER the champions league qualifiers were done so they could see the budget. Meaning at times we were playing young kids or reserve players at key position s or out of position and losing very winnable qualifiers to Scandinavian or eastern European teams. That approach cost us so much potential money.

Ha we still feel that way about the new rangers

Hischier

Citação de: Celticfan em 24 de Junho de 2022, 23:56

Our old CEO was so risk averse it was frustrating. They wouldnt sanction new signings till AFTER the champions league qualifiers were done so they could see the budget. Meaning at times we were playing young kids or reserve players at key position s or out of position and losing very winnable qualifiers to Scandinavian or eastern European teams. That approach cost us so much potential money.

If (but hopefully when) we qualify for the group stages, quote your post in the Rui Costa thread if you'd like a free shot at a likes record. It's unsettling how often this exact behaviour has happened here, despite the fact that by the time the qualifiers are done we're already on league matchday 3 or 4

Celticfan

Citação de: Hischier em 25 de Junho de 2022, 00:02

If (but hopefully when) we qualify for the group stages, quote your post in the Rui Costa thread if you'd like a free shot at a likes record. It's unsettling how often this exact behaviour has happened here, despite the fact that by the time the qualifiers are done we're already on league matchday 3 or 4

We have a lot of similar circumstances although are board absolutely will not get into debt and the fees you get for your top players and academy products in envious. Helps having a proven track record. We're starting to get better fees now that players are proving themselves in England but our academy needs some work

Jotenko

Citação de: Celticfan em 25 de Junho de 2022, 00:22
Citação de: Hischier em 25 de Junho de 2022, 00:02

We have a lot of similar circumstances although are board absolutely will not get into debt and the fees you get for your top players and academy products in envious. Helps having a proven track record. We're starting to get better fees now that players are proving themselves in England but our academy needs some work

Do you openly feel satisfied and/or celebrate Rangers' european defeats? In the European League final, per example?