Hellas futebol

Godescalco

Time to hang some people in Greece.

Είμαστε μαζί σας, φίλοι.

Godescalco

Citação de: Faliro em 24 de Julho de 2018, 15:22
(...)

Faliro, tell me more about Panionios when you can. History, fans, club culture, present situation, etc.

I've always liked them. I watched them live at Alvalade back in 2004 with a friend of mine. They were playing Sporting Lisbon for the UEFA Cup.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 24 de Julho de 2018, 17:45
Portugal had the exact same problem a year or two ago, with wildfires killing dozens of people as well.

When the weather gets too hot fires always pop out in forestry areas here. Around 2003 or 2004 we lots an area of forestry equivalent to the size of the country of Luxembourg.

I remember the Portuguese fires. They were horrific. I never researched their causes however.

This one in Hellas is man made. 15 separate fire initiations started this fire. The people who initiated these fires are murderers and need a public execution. Simple. We are now at 74 individuals including many children burned alive. Still around 40 missing.

Festivus

Citação de: Faliro em 25 de Julho de 2018, 00:05
Portugal had the exact same problem a year or two ago, with wildfires killing dozens of people as well.

When the weather gets too hot fires always pop out in forestry areas here. Around 2003 or 2004 we lots an area of forestry equivalent to the size of the country of Luxembourg.

I remember the Portuguese fires. They were horrific. I never researched their causes however.

This one in Hellas is man made. 15 separate fire initiations started this fire. The people who initiated these fires are murderers and need a public execution. Simple. We are now at 74 individuals including many children burned alive. Still around 40 missing.
Apparently the cause of fires here were dry thunderstorms where a ray hit a tree and then BOOM a fire started out and spread.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 25 de Julho de 2018, 00:39
Citação de: Faliro em 25 de Julho de 2018, 00:05

Apparently the cause of fires here were dry thunderstorms where a ray hit a tree and then BOOM a fire started out and spread.

I don't know what is more horrific about this tragedy.. those burnt alive in cars, houses and gardens - or those who made it to the sea - just to be swept out by the current and wind and drowned.. the survivors floating with the corpses of their family members in the sea for 4 hours until a fishing boats rescued them.. some just taken out even further into the sea and never seen again.

Greeks have one thing that I have always noticed since a kid and they have had it since even before antiquity. You cannot separate them from the dead relative. They will fight to keep possession of the body to give it a proper burial. Listening to the accounts.. Family members were risking their lives being taken out further into the deep seas.. in the dark.. just to keep hold of the dead bodies (drowned) of their grandmas and sisters..

I am very angry right now.

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 24 de Julho de 2018, 23:49
Citação de: Faliro em 24 de Julho de 2018, 15:22
(...)

Faliro, tell me more about Panionios when you can. History, fans, club culture, present situation, etc.

I've always liked them. I watched them live at Alvalade back in 2004 with a friend of mine. They were playing Sporting Lisbon for the UEFA Cup.

Interesting multisports club - very cultural.

You have to go back to the 1890s for their foundation in Smyrna in Turkey (Smyrna is the name of an Amazonian said to have seduced Theseus) - now the city is called Izmir. At least half the population of that city was Greek - some state more like 65%. The Greeks dominated sports in the city and the two biggest clubs in the entire city were Panionios and Apollon (Apollo the God - a figure always used for those native of Asia Minor ever since the Trojan wars where he sided with the Trojans (natives of Anatolia)).

So Apollon and Panionios ruled the once great city until 1922 when every single surviving Greek of the city was removed from Turkey and the city itself burnt down. The survivors (there were many) settled some fields outside Athens and named the area Nea Smirni - 'New Smyrna' in English. Now Nea Smirni is a major area of Athens and a very good place to live. These Greek refugees brought the clubs with them too! So both Apollon and Panionios were simply relocated to Nea Smirni and continued where they left off - the same badges - same names (unchanged) - same colours. Was simply the same team but in their new city.

Here is Apollon (Full name: Gymnasticos Syllogos Apollon Smyrnis) in 1919 before the Great War - in Smyrna (Turkey):

And here is Panionios (Full name: Paniόnios Gymnastikόs Sýllogos Smýrnis, "Pan-Ionian Gymnastic Club of Smyrna) - also when they were still in Turkey -

Here is their Volleyball team - 1920 - still located in Turkey in those days (notice the original and beautiful Panionios crest in the centre of the shirts - they still sometimes use that badge):

Two Panionios greats - Recoba and Estanyoff - notice the same old Panionios crest in blue on the right of their shirts:

The symbol is a 'Π' (P) overlayed on a 'Σ' (S) - Panionios Smynri:

Recently and sadly - Panionios's original old stadium got demolished in Izmir, Turkey (near the Greek cemetery):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Apollon and Panionios established themselves in Athens from the minute they arrived in Greece in 1922 and both are still in the Super League today! Apollon have their home at the Rizoupoli:

and Panionios have their stadium right in the heart of Nea Smyrni:

Both teams play attacking football and the Greek league has benefited from their presence.

Panionios were going to rebuild their stadium - still keeping a small track for their athletics department but they could not find the money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KJeaCVsGlA

They recently started building a new basketball arena (their basketball team is fairly good) in Nea Smirni.

Godescalco

Thanks for the info, Faliro.

That original symbol that Panionions had was great. I wasn't aware of it. Loved it!

StellaRojas

What do you think about Pedro Conde, Faliro? ( Giannina). We are interested in him.

Faliro

Citação de: StellaRojas em 28 de Julho de 2018, 08:22
What do you think about Pedro Conde, Faliro? ( Giannina). We are interested in him.

Always liked him. Just one of those players who is a natural infront of goal. If he had been at PAOK or Oly he would have had 30 goals a season.

StellaRojas

Citação de: Faliro em 28 de Julho de 2018, 11:17

Always liked him. Just one of those players who is a natural infront of goal. If he had been at PAOK or Oly he would have had 30 goals a season.

Тhanks a lot Faliro! :)  :drunk: You know what bugs me now...being so good, why he is not at Oly or PAOK? ;D

Faliro

Citação de: StellaRojas em 28 de Julho de 2018, 11:34
Citação de: Faliro em 28 de Julho de 2018, 11:17

Тhanks a lot Faliro! :)  :drunk: You know what bugs me now...being so good, why he is not at Oly or PAOK? ;D

PAS made absurd demands. It is clear they wanted a foreign buyer or no one. All the big clubs of Greece have been linked with him over the years.

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 28 de Julho de 2018, 03:40
Thanks for the info, Faliro.

That original symbol that Panionions had was great. I wasn't aware of it. Loved it!

It is a beautiful badge - they should have kept it as their main badge. When I was a kid, Panionios had a Barcelona style badge!

But as you said, nothing beats the original - they still use it occasionally. Actually one of the best football crests I have seen anywhere.

Faliro

AEK ended up signing Alef on loan from Braga (€2 million buy out)...  :crazy2:

Calcio

Citação de: Faliro em 28 de Julho de 2018, 15:16
Could you do a wrap up of the current state of things? Like for each Superleague team and your prediction on how the table will end up like?

Faliro

Citação de: Calcio em 01 de Agosto de 2018, 18:54
Citação de: Faliro em 28 de Julho de 2018, 15:16
Could you do a wrap up of the current state of things? Like for each Superleague team and your prediction on how the table will end up like?

You mean the Faliro betting form for the new season file? :bow2: You know I will.

Olympiacos. Most expensive squad in the SL - revamped squad with many departures. Still waiting on a CM of prestige in this window. Martins seems confident and organised. We scored the most goals last season but our defence was a disaster. If we can steady the rear - we will win the league easily. Fetfa, Fortounis, Lazaros etc will make for lots of entertainment. Joint favourites for the protathlima.

PAOK. Hugely strong. Organised. Physical. Experienced. Without points deductions because of their animal fans - they would have won the league as well the cup last season. Fast - compact - good shape. This week they thrashed Basel home and away to go through to the 3rd round of the CL quals. Joint favourites for the protathlima. Their CL Qual game tonight in Switzerland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1GFGbm5yX4

AEK. Lost their core this summer and replaced them with a bunch of unproven loanees - like Alef, Boye & Ponce. Not sure how they will cope in the new season - to early to guess too. If their new stadium was ready - joint favourites - but it wont be finished this season. So OAKA for them - with a weaker team than last year - that in reality, was second to PAOK last season.

PAO. Unless they make some signings fast - they will finish mid-table. Lost all decent players bar Kourbelis.  Need at least 4 signings to be competitive. They are basically a PAO youth team and will be bullied off the pitch in Hellas.

Aris. Strong pre-season. Plenty of signings - plenty of Latin flavour as is their trademark. Their aim is simply to stay up - but with their enigmatic stadium and fans - perhaps more.. who knows.. a European place? Will be curious to see if some of there more interesting signings work - such as Meledje. Hamza Younés can bring goals but is older now.. It seems Colazo (from the pre-season) was a good pick up from Boca Juniors.

Panionios. As usual - will aim to sneak into Europe. Always a good passing side with some good movement. They seem to have brought 4 frenchmen into the team this summer. Their scouting depart is perhaps one of the best in the entire Balkans. Always nobodies who end up being MVPs. Very clever side.

Apollon. No sure. Perhaps relegation bound? Perhaps mid table. Some good players brought in - but not the discipline of their Smyrna origin rival Panionios. Not sure on this one.

Asteras. Always strong even when they are out of form. Can beat anyone on their day. Determined and organised. Their 6 Argentines and 3 Spaniards mean they always have goals in them too. Will be aiming to get into Europe.

PAS. Weird club. Don't know much about them.

OFI. Will scrap and fight for survival all season. Tough place to go as an away team.. Got some key Argentinians in their team this summer; Miguel Mellado & Juan Neira.

Panetolikos.  Good quality team and nice little stadium. 6 South Americans in the team. They will work hard to finish higher than mid-table.

Larissa. Unknown entity. They have the most Balkan side in Greece. 3 serbs, 1 croat, 2 Albanians, 1 Skopian, 1 Bulgar, 1 kosavar and plenty of Greeks. I don't see much in them - but perhaps they can get a combination of some good games together and climb the table a bit?

Xanthi. Always professional. Always try hard. Average team. Like Larissa - can't see much - but they have some potential.

Levadiakos. Survival experts. Perhaps they can offer more too? Who knows? Some interesting signings I have no idea about like Lenny Nangis.

Lamia. Will be aiming for survival - not much more I think.