Olympiacos Piraeus

Faliro

Yes the famous Barcelona! My surname is even catalan..  :cool2:

Godescalco

And do you speak Catalan?

Godescalco

Basketball champions 1978:

Diakoulas, Kastrinakis, Barlas, Giatzoglou and Sismanidis.

Festivus

Have Olympiakos ever faced us in basketball?

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 29 de Março de 2014, 23:32
And do you speak Catalan?

Very badly, but I always try and use catalan words and saying when in Barcelona out of respect.  ^-^

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 30 de Março de 2014, 15:26

:confused: Good question. I am not sure. Olympiakos is far far better at basketball than football and they are quite famous in this sport. I am not sure how big Benfica basketball club is?

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 30 de Março de 2014, 12:14
Basketball champions 1978:

Diakoulas, Kastrinakis, Barlas, Giatzoglou and Sismanidis.

hahaha! I know they are 3 times euroleague champions. Panathinaikos is more famous and more successful in terms of Basketball, but olympiakos is catching up.

After the 1987 european championship, the Greek government built a basketball court in every school in the country.

Fever

Citação de: Faliro em 30 de Março de 2014, 22:19

:confused: Good question. I am not sure. Olympiakos is far far better at basketball than football and they are quite famous in this sport. I am not sure how big Benfica basketball club is?

We were big in the 90s. Not greek level of course, but we were a good european side who could defeat anyone in a good night.

We faced and defeated PAO but I don't think we ever met Olympiacos.

Faliro

mm very interesting..

I remember when i was young - a boy, I would visit Greece in the late 80s early 90s. Football was popular, but no where near the status of basketball. Everyone wanted a PAO basketball top...

I never understood it. The success of Olympiakos and PAO in basketball is interesting simply because of the Greek desire to be with the best team. I am sure these billionaires could have invested in football clubs, but only 3 were desirable to them because they want names with instant fame - AEK, PAO and Olympiakos. So what did these rich guys do? They simply spent their money on the basketball sections of Olympiakos/AEK/PAO which were separately owned. I think the other  thing that made basketball fit well in Greece is simply that many Greeks are tall and strong/heavy if not slow.. and they seemed genetically to fit the sport quite well as do Serbs.

If Benfica were big in the 90's they probably did meet Olympiakos at some point. Eitherway I am happy you beat PAO..  :rir:

pcssousa

Citação de: Fever em 30 de Março de 2014, 22:58

We were big in the 90s. Not greek level of course, but we were a good european side who could defeat anyone in a good night.

We have beaten the crap out of Panathinaikos of Dominic Wilkins in the 90's. That's for sure.

OmarLittle

Citação de: pcssousa em 30 de Março de 2014, 23:53
Citação de: Fever em 30 de Março de 2014, 22:58

We have beaten the crap out of Panathinaikos of Dominic Wilkins in the 90's. That's for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJFvT5qIyNw

There you have it, superb dunk by Jean Jaques on Wilkins!

Godescalco

Jean Jacques, the stuff legends are made of.

:bow2:

pcssousa

My all time favorite basketball player is Carlos Lisboa, by far the best Portuguese ever. He and Sérgio Ramos were the only Portuguese with a good international level. Talking about men, of course, cause my cousin Ticha is one of the greatest in WNBA history.

Internationally, Νίκος Γκάλης was always my favorite. What a player, what a European Championship he made in 87... And the way he trashed Michael Jordan's North Carolina was unbelievable.

Godescalco

Speaking of Nikos, here's the legendary Nikos Gioutsos:

Faliro