Olympiacos Piraeus

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 21 de Junho de 2015, 23:15
Isn't there any good and young Greek coach out there Olympiacos can sign?

I sympathized with Lemonis and enjoyed his tenure at Piraeus.

Lemonis was quite a smart manager actually, really really sad managers like him, Tsiolis and Chavos never have the guts to try coaching abroad - instead they get caught in an Sisyphean spin-dry cycle of managing mid-table Greek clubs.

Here is the latest vote on Gavros.gr:

Godescalco

Who's Martin Yola? Or is it Gola?

Faliro

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 21 de Junho de 2015, 23:26

It is what Google translate does to Martin Jol..

Godescalco

Citação de: Faliro em 21 de Junho de 2015, 23:27

Ah!

I noticed how it butchered Fran Escribá and turned it into "Fran Eskrimpa" but that's because it transliterates letter by letter from the Greek where "b" is "mp".

I didn't know quite what to make of Martin Yola. Now it's clear.

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 21 de Junho de 2015, 23:29
Citação de: Faliro em 21 de Junho de 2015, 23:27

Ah!

I noticed how it butchered Fran Escribá and turned it into "Fran Eskrimpa" but that's because it transliterates letter by letter from the Greek where "b" is "mp".

I didn't know quite what to make of Martin Yola. Now it's clear.

Yea, Greeks have no B as you remember.. also no D or G.. so they use diphthongs.

Gamma is a soft G sound, to make the hard G in Gata they use GK.
Delta is a soft D, to make the hard D in Djalminha they will use NT.

The funniest one I read recently was when Gazzetta I believe was talking about Fulham - known as the cottagers. The writer wrote it in Greek letters as κότατζερς.. literally kotatzers.. :rir:

To be honest, imo Olympiacos is in panic looking at Jol and Stramaccioni. The court case has seriously knocked the club. It is also damaging signings as Olympiacos likes the manager to OK signings so there are no excuses if the player under-performs. 

Clearly the club didn't seduce Escriba who was my first choice as he is now looking at Getafe. There is a chance Marco Silva has got news of the court case and it has scared him.

Cloughie

Godescalco

Greek doesn't have a "(d)j" sound, so it is transliterated as "tz" which is the closest sound value.

The same with "(t)ch", transliterated as "ts" and "sh" as a simple "s." I remember quite fondly my Modern Greek classes in college.

As far as Oly goes, this could be a transtition period with Marinakis officially banned from football. Let's see.

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 21 de Junho de 2015, 23:42
Greek doesn't have a "(d)j" sound, so it is transliterated as "tz" which is the closest sound value.

The same with "(t)ch", transliterated as "ts" and "sh" as a simple "s." I remember quite fondly my Modern Greek classes in college.

As far as Oly goes, this could be a transtition period with Marinakis officially banned from football. Let's see.

Ahh yes, you are probably right here. Although with foreign words, Greeks tend to make it up as they go along because there are no hard rules on transcribing English letters to Greek. Most Greeks laugh at the attempts made on certain words.  However with Djalminha you are probably right. Jardim for example was Ζαρντίμ although many Greeks would call him phonetically Tσαρδίμ. Greeks have a tough time with J's and Ch's etc. Greek accent: I am going to Tzurtz )lit I am going to Church).

Marinakis is banned, but he has refused to accept the ban. He is still president, owner and decision maker in his own words. Part of me thinks all these managers are scared to come to Olympiacos now. Any foreign manager who considers Olympiacos at this point in time has to be a little ,,, :crazy2: or have big bollocks... or both.. Every time Olympiacos call Escriba to see if he is interested, I bet his balls shrink back into his stomach.

Godescalco

It would be better for Oly to hire a Greek manager now and accept a transition period until all this mess is cleared up.

Faliro

It would be.. but my feeling is Marco Silva is almost there..
Another problem is there are very few competent Greek coaches and Olympiacos is seriously interested in foreigners. Even the technical directors of Olympiacos are foreign. 

PAOK and PAO have both sent dossiers to UEFA to get Olympiacos banned from Europe and I am pretty sure they have both been chucked in the bin by UEFA. No trial has taken place, everything that has happened is pre-trial and there are massive gaps in the evidence.

This is a super time to go to Olympiacos.. desperate times mean they will prbably offer more money than usual just to get back into the groove.

Godescalco

Marco is a talented coach but his situation with Sporting hasn't been solved yet.

He's technically still their coach.

Faliro

Citação de: Gottschalk em 22 de Junho de 2015, 00:20
Marco is a talented coach but his situation with Sporting hasn't been solved yet.

He's technically still their coach.

It comes down to compensation I believe and time is running out. Olympiacos is just about out of time.

Godescalco

Is Bajevic still coaching?

Faliro

Citação de: Gottscūhalk em 22 de Junho de 2015, 00:27
Is Bajevic still coaching?

He has some sort of role at AEK the last 2 years. I have a hunch he has been telling  Dellas what 11's to put out the last two years. Dusko has always been AEK in his heart - even though some AEK fans beat him up at Kallithea...watch this..You will understand the commentry. ."mono stin ellada.." shocking video. ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxOmUNVFgI#t=120