Olympiacos Piraeus

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 16:17
Citação de: Faliro em 20 de Agosto de 2019, 18:47
Citação de: Festivus em 20 de Agosto de 2019, 16:53
Faliro, this is off-topic but I'm sure you don't mind if I ask you this here:

How many countries have you travelled to? Just curious. :)

O0
Greece, Brazil and what else? I assume you're not counting the UK since I believe you were born and raised there?

What was life in Brazil like? Is the country as dangerous as its reputation gives?

A fair few.. these places I have been more than once:  Greece, Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, USA, Brazil - probably more countries when I was young..

Brazil is really cool in my opinion. Beautiful women, beautiful country, beautiful weather and great food. Downsides? Everything is expensive. Capitalism doesn't really exist - prices are fixed and pre-arranged. Poverty is a big issue. The destroyed much of their beautiful neo classical architecture in the big cities.. for example..

Avenida Rio Branco in Rio as it was:

As it is today..

Festivus

Citação de: Faliro em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 16:40

O0
Greece, Brazil and what else? I assume you're not counting the UK since I believe you were born and raised there?

What was life in Brazil like? Is the country as dangerous as its reputation gives?

A fair few.. these places I have been more than once:  Greece, Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, USA, Brazil - probably more countries when I was young..

Brazil is really cool in my opinion. Beautiful women, beautiful country, beautiful weather and great food. Downsides? Everything is expensive. Capitalism doesn't really exist - prices are fixed and pre-arranged. Poverty is a big issue. The destroyed much of their beautiful neo classical architecture in the big cities.. for example..

As it is today..

Really? Everything so expensive? Is it due to Latin America's high protectionist rates or something? I've heard video gaming quite expensive there as well.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 16:45

O0

As it is today..

Really? Everything so expensive? Is it due to Latin America's high protectionist rates or something? I've heard video gaming quite expensive there as well.

Everything is expensive in Brazil and there are no protests simply because many Brazilians didn't even have shoes 1 or 2 generations before - now they are covered in debt but at least they have shoes, food, shelter etc.. so I think they think they are lucky and they feel they should be greatful.. It is embarrassing though - for example the FIATs they build in Minas Gerais are sold in Brazil around $5000 more in Brazil itself than the same cars are sold in Mexico - once they have been exported from Brazil to Mexico..  :crazy2: Also Brazilians have zero idea of how basic economies/economics work. So for example - a common tourist complaint to a Brazilian is: 'Why is everything so expensive here?' The common response? 'Import taxes.' When someone then explains to this Brazilian that the products in question (like most products in Brazils) were manufactured in Brazil, made with Brazilian materials and sold in Brazil exclusively and that 'import tax' doesn't come into it, they simply shrug their shoulders and look depressed. It is the same depressed reaction you get from Greeks when you ask them why violent anarchists are never arrested and can smash and burn private property and attack police with impunity in Athens.

As for protectionism, you get lots of that - lots of cartels. I remember - years and years ago - I went around Belo Horizonte looking to buy a chair. I went to around 5 shops - all in different districts. Didn't matter what the chair was made of - wood, metal, polypropylene etc - all their chairs - in all the shops - regardless of size, quality or material were around R$80. It had been decided - that is how much a chair should cost (regardless of material or quality) at some point and they simply stuck with it. I found that fascinating. Even more more fascinating - Brazilians didn't see anything wrong with that.

The other funny thing about Brazil is the lack of understanding of a good deal.. For example - I saw two identical shops for sale next to each other. One had had a fire recently and was black inside - gutted and ruined. The other - in perfect condition. When I asked why the one that had been in a severe fire was the exact same price at the pristine one next door - the Brazilian looked at me and said 'this is a good area, condition doesn't matter.'  It is like that with many different things in Brazil. Things of terrible quality remain priced high - forever - even if they are never sold.

Espártaco

Citação de: Faliro em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 16:58

O0

As it is today..

Everything is expensive in Brazil and there are no protests simply because many Brazilians didn't even have shoes  1 or 2 generations before - now they are covered in debt but at least they have shoes, food, shelter etc.. so I think they think they are lucky.. It is embarrassing though - for example the FIATs they build in Minas Gerais are sold in Brazil around $5000 more in Brazil itself than the same cars are sold in Mexico - once they have been exported from Brazil to Mexico..  :crazy2: Also Brazilians have zero idea of how economies work. So for example - a common tourist complaint to a Brazilian is: 'Why is everything so expensive here?' The common response? 'Import taxes.' When someone then explains to this Brazilian that the products in question were manufactured in Brazil, made with Brazilian materials and sold in Brazil exclusively and that 'import tax' doesn't come into it, they simply shrug their shoulders and look depressed. It is the same depressed reaction you get from Greeks when you ask them why violent anarchists never arrested and can smash and burn private property with impunity in Athens.

As for protectionism, you get lots of that - lots of cartels. I remember - years and years ago - I went around Belo Horizonte looking to buy a chair. I went to around 5 shops - all in different districts. Didn't matter what the chair was made of - wood, metal, polypropylene etc - all their chairs - in all the shops - regardless of size, quality or material were around R$80. It had been decided - that is how much a chair should cost (regardless of material or quality) at some point and they simply stuck with it.

The other funny thing about Brazil is the lack of understanding of a good deal.. For example - I saw two identical shops for sale next to each other. One had had a fire recently and was black inside - gutted and ruined. The other - in perfect condition. When I asked why the one that had been in a severe fire was the exact same price at the pristine one next door - the Brazilian looked at me and said 'this is a good area, condition doesn't matter.'  It is like that with many different things in Brazil. Things of terrible quality remain priced high - forever - even if they are never sold.

Good post.  O0 I confirm almost everything that you said. You talked about Belo Horizonte. Well, it is the perfect example of contemporary architecture. Very ugly.

Faliro

Citação de: Espártaco em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 17:15

O0

As it is today..

Everything is expensive in Brazil and there are no protests simply because many Brazilians didn't even have shoes  1 or 2 generations before - now they are covered in debt but at least they have shoes, food, shelter etc.. so I think they think they are lucky.. It is embarrassing though - for example the FIATs they build in Minas Gerais are sold in Brazil around $5000 more in Brazil itself than the same cars are sold in Mexico - once they have been exported from Brazil to Mexico..  :crazy2: Also Brazilians have zero idea of how economies work. So for example - a common tourist complaint to a Brazilian is: 'Why is everything so expensive here?' The common response? 'Import taxes.' When someone then explains to this Brazilian that the products in question were manufactured in Brazil, made with Brazilian materials and sold in Brazil exclusively and that 'import tax' doesn't come into it, they simply shrug their shoulders and look depressed. It is the same depressed reaction you get from Greeks when you ask them why violent anarchists never arrested and can smash and burn private property with impunity in Athens.

As for protectionism, you get lots of that - lots of cartels. I remember - years and years ago - I went around Belo Horizonte looking to buy a chair. I went to around 5 shops - all in different districts. Didn't matter what the chair was made of - wood, metal, polypropylene etc - all their chairs - in all the shops - regardless of size, quality or material were around R$80. It had been decided - that is how much a chair should cost (regardless of material or quality) at some point and they simply stuck with it.

Good post.  O0 I confirm almost everything that you said. You talked about Belo Horizonte. Well, it is the perfect example of contemporary architecture. Very ugly.

Yes aderfe, BH is a strange place. I actually enjoy driving around the city because of its wide avenues, but the speed limits around the place are ridiculous, I picked up over 250 euros of fines for breaking speed limits I was not even aware of!  :rir: You are right, the city is butchered architecturally. There are some nice areas around though interspersed.

Espártaco

Citação de: Faliro em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 17:18

O0

As it is today..

Yes aderfe, BH is a strange place. I actually enjoy driving around the city because of its wide avenues, but the speed limits around the place are ridiculous, I picked up over 250 euros of fines for breaking speed limits I was not even aware of!  :rir: You are right, the city is butchered architecturally. There are some nice areas around though interspersed.

Great problems with the speed limits and the famous "quebra-molas".  :-X Well, I like the "Lagoa da Pampulha". Good view for the Mineirão.  :cool2:

Festivus

O0

As it is today..

How does BH compare to other big cities in Brazil? How much of Brazil have you seen? Did you ever go to Rio, São Paulo, Brasília, etc?

Ever felt unsafe in Brazil?

Also, Brazil is kind of like USA in the sense that you can find all sorts of ethnic groups there. Ever met any Brazilians of Greek ancestry?

Faliro

Citação de: Espártaco em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 17:22

O0

As it is today..

Great problems with the speed limits and the famous "quebra-molas".

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

I went through a crazy crazy frustrating journey from BH to Véu da Noiva waterfall.. I drove all the way from BH to Véu da Noiva and back. Each way should be around 2 hours.. You are on a flat straight  and wide road. Nothing coming at you. Very safe. Suddenly, the car is airborne.. you are literally in the air.. Yes.. another unmarked quebra-mola has launched you into space...  :crazy2: :buck2: I got so fucking angry at the quebra-molas!!  :2funny:

You sound like you know Brazil well. Where abouts do you go?

Citação]http://Well, I like the "Lagoa da Pampulha". Good view for the Mineirão.  :cool2:

Yes, a very cool area and the brainchild of Kubitschek/Niemeyer.

The parts of the city I really like are Savassi and the streets around Sao Pedro and places like Mangabeiras. Centro (around the station in BH) is like a scene from the Walking Dead..  :coolsmiley:

BTW, on my first trip to BH I saw Atletico vs Cruzeiro at the Independência.

Faliro

CitaçãoHow does BH compare to other big cities in Brazil? How much of Brazil have you seen? Did you ever go to Rio, São Paulo, Brasília, etc?

I only really know Rio, Belo Horizonte and small historic towns like Ouro Preto (fairly impressive). I also visited Buzios in Rio state. I can only compare BH to Rio. They were both very different to each other. I have never been anywhere like Belo Horizonte. Very hard place to describe. Very strange. A hard place. Rio is more Western imo. People more used to foreigners. Ipanema is a super beach and the environs of that beach are super. Rio is more accessible - sort of. Also a very different climate. Pure humidity. Belo Horizonte is calmer weather wise. The poor areas of Rio go on for 10s of miles.. parts of these areas look like African villages and they just go on endlessly.. mud streets, very apocalyptic stuff...

CitaçãoEver felt unsafe in Brazil?

Hmm.. I think the city I have felt most unsafe in was Napoli in Italy. Never felt so much violence in one place and I did fight a guy with a knife while there. I think because I suppose i pass as brazilian and dress like them, I was never attacked in Brazil - I have been in a situation or two where something could have happened - but i gambled they would back down and they did. Brazil in general seemed safe to me, but I am man. I think I would worry about a girlfriend in certain areas at night there.

CitaçãoAlso, Brazil is kind of like USA in the sense that you can find all sorts of ethnic groups there. Ever met any Brazilians of Greek ancestry?

There are one or two Greeks there, but most left or died. The centre of Greeks in Brazil was Santos and Rio. My Greek Grandfather was actually going to live there full time in the 30s/40s but he lost his leg after the war and decided London over Brazil for the health service. All his Greek friends stayed in brazil however and I spose just became Brazilians? Brazil has a very strong culture, many foreign families after 1 or 2 generations get lost in the soup, it is very hard to have a separate culture to them imo. I spose the thing that shocked me most about Brazilians is how many of them are mixed with indigenous and don't even realise it or talk about it. It is clear on the faces of so many Brazilians when you live there, they have lots of indigenous ancestry in their veins.

Espártaco

Citação de: Faliro em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 17:35
Citação de: Espártaco em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 17:22

O0

As it is today..

Great problems with the speed limits and the famous "quebra-molas".

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

I went through a crazy crazy frustrating journey from BH to Véu da Noiva waterfall.. I drove all the way from BH to Véu da Noiva and back. Each way should be around 2 hours.. You are on a flat straight  and wide road. Nothing coming at you. Very safe. Suddenly, the car is airborne.. you are literally in the air.. Yes.. another unmarked quebra-mola has launched you into space...  :crazy2: :buck2: I got so fucking angry at the quebra-molas!!  :2funny:

You sound like you know Brazil well. Where abouts do you go?

Citação]http://Well, I like the "Lagoa da Pampulha". Good view for the Mineirão.  :cool2:

Yes, a very cool area and the brainchild of Kubitschek/Niemeyer.

The parts of the city I really like are Savassi and the streets around Sao Pedro and places like Mangabeiras. Centro (around the station in BH) is like a scene from the Walking Dead..  :coolsmiley:

BTW, on my first trip to BH I saw Atletico vs Cruzeiro at the Independência.

Your "quebra-molas" story is almost a every day in Brazil.  :2funny:

I had travelled a lot around brazilian states. Not in a touristic perspective but to know the "real" Brazil. Minas Gerais is very beautiful. Have you ever been in Ouro Preto? Amazing portuguese heritage.
Centro is really like a Walking Dead scene.  ;D Savassi is high class neighbourhood. Good place. The best places are in the Centro-Sul neighbourhoods.

Btw, what is your BH team? Atlético (Patético) Mineiro or Cruzeiro? Mine is the second one.  :-X

Faliro

CitaçãoYour "quebra-molas" story is almost a every day in Brazil.  :2funny:

I really hope Brazil scraps these. They are very dangerous.

CitaçãoI had travelled a lot around brazilian states. Not in a touristic perspective but to know the "real" Brazil. Minas Gerais is very beautiful. Have you ever been in Ouro Preto? Amazing portuguese heritage.

Does this answer your question?  :smokin:

CitaçãoCentro is really like a Walking Dead scene.  ;D Savassi is high class neighbourhood. Good place. The best places are in the Centro-Sul neighbourhoods.

Agreed.

CitaçãoBtw, what is your BH team? Atlético (Patético) Mineiro or Cruzeiro? Mine is the second one.  :-X

Well... My wife's family is half Cruzeiro, half Galo.. My wife herself is Atletico.. her sister and mother Cruzeiro.. her dad.. America (although he denies it).. ;D I suppose I am Galo by default? Will be a decent team when they build that new stadium of theirs.. BH in general is a cultural football hub it seems.

Espártaco

Citação de: Faliro em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 18:35

CitaçãoI had travelled a lot around brazilian states. Not in a touristic perspective but to know the "real" Brazil. Minas Gerais is very beautiful. Have you ever been in Ouro Preto? Amazing portuguese heritage.

CitaçãoCentro is really like a Walking Dead scene.  ;D Savassi is high class neighbourhood. Good place. The best places are in the Centro-Sul neighbourhoods.

Agreed.

CitaçãoBtw, what is your BH team? Atlético (Patético) Mineiro or Cruzeiro? Mine is the second one.  :-X

Well... My wife's family is half Cruzeiro, half Galo.. My wife herself is Atletico.. her sister and mother Cruzeiro.. her dad.. America (although he denies it).. ;D I suppose I am Galo by default? Will be a decent team when they build that new stadium of theirs.. BH in general is a cultural football hub it seems.

An Olympian in Praça Tiradentes.  :coolsmiley:

You have to be Cruzeiro. Atlético Mineiro is like Sporting Lisbon. Cruzeiro is Benfica.  ;D
Almost every mineiro that I know is Cruzeiro fan. But, of course, there are many Galo supporters (no America fans, btw ;D). Cruzeiro had much more titles than Atlético and I was attracted by their history and Mineirão. And the Raposas had some players that I become a fan: Montillo (I had this shirt of him
Spoiler
[fechar]
) and De Arrascaeta that is now in Flamengo.

Faliro

Citação de: Espártaco em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 18:52

Agreed.

You have to be Cruzeiro. Atlético Mineiro is like Sporting Lisbon. Cruzeiro is Benfica.  ;D
Almost every mineiro that I know is Cruzeiro fan. But, of course, there are many Galo supporters (no America fans, btw ;D). Cruzeiro had much more titles than Atlético and I was attracted by their history and Mineirão. And the Raposas had some players that I become a fan: Montillo (I had this shirt of him
Spoiler
[fechar]
) and De Arrascaeta that is now in Flamengo.

I am with you on the whole Cruzeiro thing.. After a week in BH I clocked Cruzeiro were the winners, the better team and even the better kits and stadium. I don't even like the animal of Atletico - the cockerel..  I tried to convince my wife to switch teams.. she actually considered it..(she is not into football so much) ;D and then I started feeling sorry for Galo.. So I kinda stay neutral on the whole thing. The game I went to was 2-2 at Horto with Ronaldinho playing beautifully as usual..

I think when Atletico build that stadium in bairro Califórnia - BH will be one of the big football cities globally. They have a great sporting culture in that city.

Faliro

Citação de: Espártaco em 22 de Agosto de 2019, 18:52

Agreed.

Did you see any remnants of portuguese culture in Brazil, or for you is it detached from the Potuguese/Portugal reality besides language and colonial places like Ouro Preto (which could be in Portugal architecturally). 

BTW:

Spoiler

Calcio

I'm sorry to interject.

BUT A KASAMI SHIRT!?  :2funny: