Show the town or village of your Grandfather

Cloughie

Citação de: forest_hills em 15 de Março de 2018, 18:36
Citação de: Cloughie em 14 de Março de 2018, 21:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NokbWCIeDY

A nice video of my town, which is the town of my grandfather too. :)

A few of my co-workers are from Vila Real :) One of my bosses actually started by showing me the history of i think Formula 3 and the majestic circuit of Vila Real, which had very well known international racing legends. Everyone there seems very passionate about cars and motorcycles in general (my boss has like 8 vehicles)!!

Yes, it's the passion of the city.
We had people like Sir Stirling Moss or Angel Nieto racing in our streets.
Nowadays with the WTCC, we always have lots people in the city every racing weekend. And from all around the world. :)

I forgot to talk about one of our most important atractions.
The Black Pottery of Bisalhães (a small nearby town of Vila Real), UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekw3Dv2tvQs

nevers0ft

Ginkgo

My grandparents are from the northeastern town of Bragança, the capital of the Trás-os-Montes province (literally "behind-the-mountains") and hometown of Pizzi.
It is a very special region and although now you can reach the town in a 2 hour car ride from Porto, for centuries it was far away from the centers of power, very close to the Spanish border on the northeast of the country.

(Picture from 2 weeks ago. 13th century castle)

(Historical city center)

On the outskirts of town you can find the amazing Montesinho natural park where deers, wild boars, wolves and other endemic fauna live. There are also a lot of traditional little villages, some of wich still preserve and celebrate ancient Celtic influenced traditions such as the Caretos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbNMOL864v0

We are also well known for our food. Specially the smoked pork meat.

NSC

Citação de: martins-ric em 15 de Março de 2018, 14:41
My grandparents are from the portuguese oldest village, Ponte de Lima, where I also was born and grown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_xImXqsrZc
Oldest village? Really?

Cosmic

Such an interesting topic!

All of my family (grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, uncles...) were born in Ajuda, Lisboa. It's quite unusual to not have a "terra" to go to in the summer, but that makes me a true "alfacinha"! :)

It is known for its Palace and, for me, has the nicest unknown views to Rio Tejo:

Kind regards to all!

StellaRojas

Citação de: Ginkgo em 15 de Março de 2018, 19:25
My grandparents are from the northeastern town of Bragança, the capital of the Trás-os-Montes province (literally "behind-the-mountains") and hometown of Pizzi.
It is a very special region and although now you can reach the town in a 2 hour car ride from Porto, for centuries it was far away from the centers of power, very close to the Spanish border on the northeast of the country.

(Historical city center)

On the outskirts of town you can find the amazing Montesinho natural park where deers, wild boars, wolves and other endemic fauna live. There are also a lot of traditional little villages, some of wich still preserve and celebrate ancient Celtic influenced traditions such as the Caretos.

Brazilian dynasty was named after that town, maybe?

Cloughie

Citação de: StellaRojas em 15 de Março de 2018, 21:40

(Historical city center)

House of Bragança was also the last dynasty of Portuguese Monarchy.
It was founded by John I, master of Avis, and Nun'Alvares Pereira, who beated the Spaniards in Aljubarrota for the independance of Portugal!

It contemplated some regions close to Bragança as a gift to a bastard son of John, Afonso.

paalexg

Citação de: Cloughie em 15 de Março de 2018, 22:02

(Historical city center)

It was founded by John I, master of Avis, and Nun'Alvares Pereira, who beated the Spaniards in Aljubarrota for the independance of Portugal!

It contemplated some regions close to Bragança as a gift to a bastard son of John, Afonso.

Afonso wasn't a bastard, but a love child (filho natural in portuguese).

Cloughie

Citação de: paalexg em 15 de Março de 2018, 23:33

(Historical city center)

The three kids with Inês Peres are not bastards because they born before the marriage with Phillippa of Lancaster?

paalexg

My mother is from a really small village that is located in the municipality of the medieval town of Trancoso.

Known for the battle of Trancoso (during the portuguese succession crisis of 1383-85 against Castille), its castle, the marriage of king Dinis of Portugal and Isabel of Aragon and Bandarra (a shoemaker and prophet).

A monument to the marriage of the king.

The castle.

Bandarra.

My father is also from a small village, in the municipality of Carregal do Sal, Viseu.

Known for the birth and the family house of one the Righteous Among the Nations, Aristides de Sousa Mendes, that saved tens of thousands of refugees (mostly jews) in the WWII while he was the portuguese consul in Bordeaux, disobeying the orders of the
dictator Salazar.

The house.

There is also a significant number of megalithic monuments.

Orca de Fiais da Telha.

paalexg

Citação de: Cloughie em 15 de Março de 2018, 23:41
Citação de: paalexg em 15 de Março de 2018, 23:33

(Historical city center)

The three kids with Inês Peres are not bastards because they born before the marriage with Phillippa of Lancaster?
Yup. Bastards are offspring born outside the marriage.

And he was, at the time he had those children, a member of the order of Avis, which meant mandatory chastity.

rdr10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwunm0vi90

Terras do Demo (land of the devil).

Famous for an amazing "Sparkling Wine" :)

Back in the days:

StellaRojas

On that " How to infuriate Europeans with one sentence" map, that sentence for Hungarians is: Hungary is beautiful, love Budapest ;D From these pics I can see that Portugal is a lot more than Lisbon, Porto and their surroundings. I would live to visit one day. :)