Sport Lisboa e Benfica

Covenant

We don't care about them but  Marseille fans don't like Benfica at all.

Celticfan

Citação de: Covenant em 28 de Junho de 2022, 14:11

How come?

With Rapid Vienna and Athletico Madrid for us it was due to on field incidents when we played them. Hamburg is because they have a close relationship with Rangers and our fans have a good relationship with St Pauli.

Covenant

Citação de: Celticfan em 29 de Junho de 2022, 17:23

How come?

With Rapid Vienna and Athletico Madrid for us it was due to on field incidents when we played them. Hamburg is because they have a close relationship with Rangers and our fans have a good relationship with St Pauli.
We defeated them in 1989/1990 in the Champions League semi final with the (in)famous hand of Vata.

https://youtu.be/c4kDWyvO2jA

Celticfan

Citação de: Covenant em 29 de Junho de 2022, 17:34

How come?

We defeated them in 1989/1990 in the Champions League semi final with the (in)famous hand of Vata.

They can't really complain though, they cheated in the next season to win it.

Covenant

Citação de: Celticfan em 29 de Junho de 2022, 17:56
Citação de: Covenant em 29 de Junho de 2022, 17:34

How come?

They can't really complain though, they cheated in the next season to win it.
They tried to get their revenge but...
https://youtu.be/3MHesx656ck

Celticfan

Obviously we got a steal with Jota but is there any other young or B team Benfica or Portuguese players that would fit Celtics model? (without saying fuck off  ;D ) e.g. under 25, great potential with the chance of becoming a top player? Especially as a central defender, DM or forward?

My work colleague thought possibly Florentino if we don't sign Souza? Said he is a late bloomer but talented. Would he be a good fit?

Festivus

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:36
Citação de: Cloughie em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:13
Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 18:48
Citação de: Cloughie em 27 de Junho de 2022, 16:31
Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 15:12
Citação de: SousaLB em 27 de Junho de 2022, 11:54
Also, Benfica is the club of the people, Sporting is mainly linked to that very "chic" part of the society, to some elitism, those persons with a lot of names, descending from the kings and so on ;D

Historically, Benfica is linked to more humble people, is passion at its most natural. Sporting is more elitist. We use to make fun of their names, just like "he really has a Sporting fan's name".

Without being too political. How were Portuguese clubs treated under Salazar? Was it like in Spain under Franco where there was a favourite/disliked club? Or the equivalent of the monarchy/elites club?

I honestly don't know too much about Salazar, it doesn't get talked as much internationally compared to other European authoritarian figures. Is he viewed as widely despised now like Franco or do some people still admire him?

Benfica got the fame, the others got the rewards.

Porto and Sporting were the protected ones, even got public benefits (the Statue of Public Utility was given to them way before Benfica), they had people from the government leading the club and even Sporting was in the old version of Champions League because of the government, even though the champion was Benfica.

Salazar won the Greatest Portuguese contest, so... there's your answer. ;D

When the stadiums got rebuilt as part of the Euros, do the clubs still own the stadiums or is it like in America where the city owns the stadium and major upkeep/maintenance?

Does the Estadio da Luz have a standing section? Are their ultra sections? Are they political and do they like each other?

I remember watching a Benfica Celtic game where the Eagle flew around the stadium. Do they do this every game or just big ones? They do similar for the Seattle Seahawks and it's really cool.

So Salazar is still well regarded in Portugal?

Benfica: Owned
Porto: Owned
Sporting: Owned
Vitória Guimarães: Owned
Braga: Town
Boavista: Owned
Aveiro: Town
Coimbra: Town
Leiria: Town
Algarve: Town
No safe standing yet. We have two "ultra" groups. No political stuff but they're not than fond of each other. The biggest one currently are "in the pocket" of the board.
Every game the eagle flies around.
For a small section of the country, yes.

Couple more questions-

Other than Eusebio, who is Benficas biggest legends?

Do Benfica have any famous fans (that would be known internationally)?

Is there any foreign clubs Benfica do not like? For example Celtic fans dislike Hamburg, Athletico Madrid and Rapid Vienna. The latter two due to incidents in European games.

How are Jorge Cadete and Pierre Van Hoojdonk viewed by Benfica fans?

They were some of my first heroes as a 7/8 year old and both were the beginning of Celtics rebirth after financial issues in the early 90s. I wouldn't say either are legends but definitely 'what could have been if they had stayed longer'. I think Cadete could have been a legend if he had stayed but he got greedy. He admits he regrets it. We may not have ended up with Larsson though who is a legend. I didn't really follow Cadete's career post Celtic but he was good at Celtic and Sporting. i heard he had a lot of problems post career though.
Apparently Mike Tyson is a Benfica fan. There's a few photos of him online wearing our shirt. But who knows how genuine his support is. He said he felt emotiened the fact our stsidun has the statue of a black player(Eusébio) outside it or something like that. Seems odd since I'd expect such thing to be common in USA considering all the black NBA and NFL players they have there.

Benfica does not have any rivalries with foreign clubs. Closest thing must have been the friendly rivalry with Real Madrid way back in the day. How many clubs have beaten Real Madrid in a European Cup final after all? Plus Di Stefano was Eusébios hero. And Santiago Bernabeu had good relations with us.

The Marseille thing dates back to a game in 1990. I doubt most people under 35 are even aware of that nowadays.

Friendship? I guess there's empathy with Torino due to the Sueperga tragedy. Hajduk Split is simply a friendship between ultras. Both clubs don't have any sort of relationship as far as I know. Most fans aren't ultras and neither care about ultra friendships. Your average Benfica fan doesn't care about Dynamo Zabreg and doesn't hate Juventus.

Football here isn't linked with political ideologies or regional nationalism or anything like that. So there's not much reason to find rivals out there.

If a club acts like assholes to us I might dislike them for a while but that's it. I blame Felix Byrch for screwing us in the 2014 final. Not Sevilla itself.

I've heard Celtic fans don't like Porto. And even a friend of mine who's a Rangers fan says that Porto were favoured in the 2003 final. Thoughts?

Celticfan

Citação de: Festivus em 29 de Junho de 2022, 22:56
Also, Benfica is the club of the people, Sporting is mainly linked to that very "chic" part of the society, to some elitism, those persons with a lot of names, descending from the kings and so on ;D

Historically, Benfica is linked to more humble people, is passion at its most natural. Sporting is more elitist. We use to make fun of their names, just like "he really has a Sporting fan's name".

Without being too political. How were Portuguese clubs treated under Salazar? Was it like in Spain under Franco where there was a favourite/disliked club? Or the equivalent of the monarchy/elites club?

I honestly don't know too much about Salazar, it doesn't get talked as much internationally compared to other European authoritarian figures. Is he viewed as widely despised now like Franco or do some people still admire him?

Porto and Sporting were the protected ones, even got public benefits (the Statue of Public Utility was given to them way before Benfica), they had people from the government leading the club and even Sporting was in the old version of Champions League because of the government, even though the champion was Benfica.

When the stadiums got rebuilt as part of the Euros, do the clubs still own the stadiums or is it like in America where the city owns the stadium and major upkeep/maintenance?

Does the Estadio da Luz have a standing section? Are their ultra sections? Are they political and do they like each other?

I remember watching a Benfica Celtic game where the Eagle flew around the stadium. Do they do this every game or just big ones? They do similar for the Seattle Seahawks and it's really cool.

No safe standing yet. We have two "ultra" groups. No political stuff but they're not than fond of each other. The biggest one currently are "in the pocket" of the board.

Couple more questions-

Is there any foreign clubs Benfica do not like? For example Celtic fans dislike Hamburg, Athletico Madrid and Rapid Vienna. The latter two due to incidents in European games.

They were some of my first heroes as a 7/8 year old and both were the beginning of Celtics rebirth after financial issues in the early 90s. I wouldn't say either are legends but definitely 'what could have been if they had stayed longer'. I think Cadete could have been a legend if he had stayed but he got greedy. He admits he regrets it. We may not have ended up with Larsson though who is a legend. I didn't really follow Cadete's career post Celtic but he was good at Celtic and Sporting. i heard he had a lot of problems post career though.
Apparently Mike Tyson is a Benfica fan. There's a few photos of him online wearing our shirt. But who knows how genuine his support is. He said he felt emotiened the fact our stsidun has the statue of a black player(Eusébio) outside it or something like that. Seems odd since I'd expect such thing to be common in USA considering all the black NBA and NFL players they have there.

Benfica does not have any rivalries with foreign clubs. Closest thing must have been the friendly rivalry with Real Madrid way back in the day. How many clubs have beaten Real Madrid in a European Cup final after all? Plus Di Stefano was Eusébios hero. And Santiago Bernabeu had good relations with us.

The Marseille thing dates back to a game in 1990. I doubt most people under 35 are even aware of that nowadays.

Friendship? I guess there's empathy with Torino due to the Sueperga tragedy. Hajduk Split is simply a friendship between ultras. Both clubs don't have any sort of relationship as far as I know. Most fans aren't ultras and neither care about ultra friendships. Your average Benfica fan doesn't care about Dynamo Zabreg and doesn't hate Juventus.

Football here isn't linked with political ideologies or regional nationalism or anything like that. So there's not much reason to find rivals out there.

If a club acts like assholes to us I might dislike them for a while but that's it. I blame Felix Byrch for screwing us in the 2014 final. Not Sevilla itself.

I've heard Celtic fans don't like Porto. And even a friend of mine who's a Rangers fan says that Porto were favoured in the 2003 final. Thoughts?

There was a similar situation with Real Madrid in 1967. When we won the European Cup, Real Madrid wanted to prove we had won 'their trophy' and so we played them for DiStefano's testimonial. So even though it was a friendly it wasn't treated like one. Celtic won 1-0 and our winger Jimmy Johnson was applauded by the Real Madrid fans for his performance.

Our players from that era had a ton of respect for Eusebio. He was good friends with Johnston "I was privileged to call Jimmy Johnstone my friend," said the Portuguese legend. "He always played football with a smile on his face. When Celtic reached the European Cup Final in my country in 1967 I supported them against Inter Milan. They were a great, attacking force and, of course, they had that special little genius on the right wing. But Jimmy Johnstone was not just a great player in Scotland. He was known throughout the world."

We don't like Athletico Madrid due to a game in 1974 were they basically kicked us off the park.  https://worldfootballindex.com/2017/03/atletico-madrid-v-celtic-1974-shame-game/ They also had a banner in 2011 when we played them against Billy McNeil who is our greatest ever captain as he said he was still bitter about the game in 74.

Rapid Vienna is due to an incident in a cup winners cup game in 1984. Celtic lost the first game 3-1 but won the home game 3-0. It was a dirty game where some Rapid players got away with punches. However, a fan through a bottle on the field and a Rapid player claimed it hit him. It was nowhere remotely near him but he rolled around as if shot. There was no tv cameras to prove he lied. UEFA forced the game to be replayed at Old Trafford and we lost the replay.

I don't know how I feel about Porto. At the time I was absolutely pissed off. Deco, Derlei and Victor Baia just rolling around every 2 seconds wasting time was pretty infuriating. The referee was really weak and let the Porto players get away with it. To be honest, they didn't need to do it. With hindsight Porto were the better team despite us taking it to extra time, our goal keeper had an absolute shocker but Larsson had a great game for us. On another day or a stronger ref who knows, we may have won? Porto went on to win the Champions League the next season so they were clearly a great team. I've also came round to Mourinho. Still a little bitter about it.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dived-beat-celtic-final-1624741

Ultra's are a relatively recent thing for us- mid 2000's.

Jayson Tatum

Citação de: Cloughie em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:33

Couple more questions-

I will forget people, I'm sure:

Rogério Pipi from 1940/50's (best player from the 1st team who got european gold in Latin Cup)
José Águas from 1950/60's
Mário Coluna from 1950/60's (biggest captain in club history)
José Augusto from 1960/70's
António Simões from 1960/70's (youngest european champion in history)
Toni from 1960/70/80's (8 league titles as a player, 4 as an assistant coach, 2 as a manager)
Nené from 1960/70/80's (most matches as a Benfica player)
Humberto Coelho from 1960/70/80's
Sheu from 1970/80's (the person with more titles in the history of the club, I believe. 10 as a player and several more as a staff member)
Manuel Bento from 1970/80/90's (biggest GK in club history)
Fernando Chalana from 1970/80's
Carlos Mozer from 1980/90's (top brazilian center-back)
João Pinto from 1990/00's (the ray of light in the dark years)
Michel Preud'Homme from 1990's (if he had arrived a couple of years earlier...)
Simão Sabrosa from 2000's (our leader in the broken streak of 11 years without a title)
Luisão from 2000/10's (club captain and the foreigner with more matches in the history of the club)
Óscar Cardozo from 2000/10's (foreigner with most goals in Benfica's history)
Jonas from 2010's (the hero from the first string of 4 titles in a row in our history)
Famous international Benfica fans? Mike Tyson, Novak Djokovic, Jordy Smith... I think Tom Hanks has spoken about it too.
I don't think we have any international rivals. Maybe now Sevilla because of the way we're robbed in the Europa League final in 2014.
Cadete is not well liked here.

Pierre was an amazing player. Unfortunately the follow up board after Vale e Azevedo sold him for peanuts because we didn't have money... after spending it on a brazilian flop named Roger.

Another Benfica legend: Rui Costa

Celticfan

Citação de: Jayson Tatum em 03 de Julho de 2022, 16:50

Couple more questions-

Rogério Pipi from 1940/50's (best player from the 1st team who got european gold in Latin Cup)
Toni from 1960/70/80's (8 league titles as a player, 4 as an assistant coach, 2 as a manager)
Sheu from 1970/80's (the person with more titles in the history of the club, I believe. 10 as a player and several more as a staff member)
Simão Sabrosa from 2000's (our leader in the broken streak of 11 years without a title)
Luisão from 2000/10's (club captain and the foreigner with more matches in the history of the club)
Jonas from 2010's (the hero from the first string of 4 titles in a row in our history)
Famous international Benfica fans? Mike Tyson, Novak Djokovic, Jordy Smith... I think Tom Hanks has spoken about it too.
I don't think we have any international rivals. Maybe now Sevilla because of the way we're robbed in the Europa League final in 2014.

Pierre was an amazing player. Unfortunately the follow up board after Vale e Azevedo sold him for peanuts because we didn't have money... after spending it on a brazilian flop named Roger.

I've always thought of him as a Milan player because of the era I grew up. That Milan team was special

Jayson Tatum

Citação de: Celticfan em 06 de Julho de 2022, 16:51

Couple more questions-

I've always thought of him as a Milan player because of the era I grew up. That Milan team was special

https://youtu.be/mIaY75XFu2E

Faliro

MrCobb

Couple more questions-

Valdo and Ricardo. The first One still appears at the Estádio da Luz, the swedish trio with Magnusson, Thern and Schwarz who sometimes is seen at the Estádio da Luz too.

Celticfan

Citação de: MrCobb em 11 de Dezembro de 2022, 22:21

Couple more questions-

Valdo and Ricardo. The first One still appears at the Estádio da Luz, the swedish trio with Magnusson, Thern and Schwarz who sometimes is seen at the Estádio da Luz too.

I remember Thern at Rangers. He didn't play too much due to injuries though