Citação de: samarras em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:24
The real name is fino, not imperial.
For me, Portugal only begins below Coimbra. North of Coimbra is land of savages
🙄
Did I stutter? :2funny:

(I don't mind Aveiro)

Covenant

Celticfan

Random question. When you watch US/British TV shows like Better Call Saul, Stranger things etc do most people in Portugal watch in English or with subtitles/Portuguese dubbing? Same with big US/British music acts/bands.

This is probably a question for all non English speaking European countries to be honest. Are those shows more popular than Portuguese tv shows or is the preference for things from your own country?

In the US you'll usually have some Mexican radio stations or tv channels with Spanish content but there is nothing really like that in the UK other than some niche content for Gaelic, Welsh, Irish languages.

humbug_1904

Citação de: Celticfan em 14 de Julho de 2022, 18:39
Random question. When you watch US/British TV shows like Better Call Saul, Stranger things etc do most people in Portugal watch in English or with subtitles/Portuguese dubbing? Same with big US/British music acts/bands.

This is probably a question for all non English speaking European countries to be honest. Are those shows more popular than Portuguese tv shows or is the preference for things from your own country?

In the US you'll usually have some Mexican radio stations or tv channels with Spanish content but there is nothing really like that in the UK other than some niche content for Gaelic, Welsh, Irish languages.
Foreign shows like those are more popular 100% and we watch them either with portuguese subtitles ou no subtitles at all.

We only dub cartoons for kids.

Celticfan

Citação de: humbug_1904 em 14 de Julho de 2022, 18:42

Foreign shows like those are more popular 100% and we watch them either with portuguese subtitles ou no subtitles at all.

Would you say that helps with learning to speak English or is there just a broad focus on learning it? How many people in Portugal can speak it comfortably? I've heard some people say they learned French or Spanish from watching tv shows.

I think Americans and Brits get super lazy trying to learn other languages as there is almost an assumption people speak English (probably why so many are hated in Europe). I learned some French in school but you lose it pretty quickly without practicing or living there. I've tried learning a bit of Spanish but the problem is when you go to places like Mexico that people want to practice or work on their English with you.

I would like to live in somewhere like Mexico for 6 months and force myself to learn Spanish to get by etc. Probably the only way I would get enough practice or get me out of my comfort zone.

Jotenko

Citação de: Celticfan em 14 de Julho de 2022, 18:57

Would you say that helps with learning to speak English or is there just a broad focus on learning it? How many people in Portugal can speak it comfortably? I've heard some people say they learned French or Spanish from watching tv shows.

I think Americans and Brits get super lazy trying to learn other languages as there is almost an assumption people speak English (probably why so many are hated in Europe). I learned some French in school but you lose it pretty quickly without practicing or living there. I've tried learning a bit of Spanish but the problem is when you go to places like Mexico that people want to practice or work on their English with you.

I would like to live in somewhere like Mexico for 6 months and force myself to learn Spanish to get by etc. Probably the only way I would get enough practice or get me out of my comfort zone.

Helps a lot.

Also its crazy for us to think some people grow up watching shows like, per example, the Simpsons, without the original voices.

Spanish and French are usually pretty horrible at speaking English. Almost embarassing.

humbug_1904

Yeah it helps a lot, specially with pronouciation, that will always be our bigger problem because of the "r" sound.

But 90% of the population below 40 speaks english and learned it at school so there's a focus to actually teach people in school and nowadays 100% of people my age (22) speak english with a fairly decent accent.

Spanish for us is doable, the languages are similar, most don't actually know it but can understand it very well. French is more of an old thing to know, used to be the taught in schools instead of english. I did have french in school for 3 years but I barely know a word now.

24-7SLB

Celticfan

Citação de: Jotenko em 15 de Julho de 2022, 03:41

Helps a lot.

Also its crazy for us to think some people grow up watching shows like, per example, the Simpsons, without the original voices.

Spanish and French are usually pretty horrible at speaking English. Almost embarassing.

I generally find that French people are more willing to speak English if you make an effort to try and speak French, in the cities at least. I can read French pretty well and can understand someone if they speak it slowly. Too nervous to try speaking it outside of a few sentences. In Germany and Belgium I found that if someone knew you spoke English they would switch right away.

In Mexico, my wife knows some Spanish and as soon as they thought you spoke it, would hit you with it at 100 miles an hour.  ;D

Celticfan

What are the differences between Spanish and Portuguese? Is it the way you say different things like in US vs UK English? There's some things Americans say, call or spell things that would stump a Brit and vice versa (although that gap is closing due to globalisation and Hollywood). Canada is like a weird hybrid, mostly speaks UK English but has some weirds quirks due to be so close to the US.

Or is it like similarities between English and French?

humbug_1904

Citação de: Celticfan em 15 de Julho de 2022, 16:32
What are the differences between Spanish and Portuguese? Is it the way you say different things like in US vs UK English? There's some things Americans say, call or spell things that would stump a Brit and vice versa (although that gap is closing due to globalisation and Hollywood). Canada is like a weird hybrid, mostly speaks UK English but has some weirds quirks due to be so close to the US.

No, it's much more different than US vs UK. They speak way more quicker than us but we have a "closed" way of speaking, and grammarly it has a lot of differences aswell as of course the vocabulary that changes a lot. They have a harder time understanding us than we do understanding them.

I think it would make sense for it to be similar to the differences between English and French because they come from the same background and Spanish and Portugal do aswell (from Latin) but I think the proximity between the two countries made it so that our languages are more similar than English and French. And it's also interesenting to see that Spain has different "languages" in each autonomous region. For example we can't understand catalunian or what they speak in the basque country but we can comunicate in galician very well, way better than normal spanish.

Celticfan

Citação de: humbug_1904 em 15 de Julho de 2022, 16:52

No, it's much more different than US vs UK. They speak way more quicker than us but we have a "closed" way of speaking, and grammarly it has a lot of differences aswell as of course the vocabulary that changes a lot. They have a harder time understanding us than we do understanding them.

I think it would make sense for it to be similar to the differences between English and French because they come from the same background and Spanish and Portugal do aswell (from Latin) but I think the proximity between the two countries made it so that our languages are more similar than English and French. And it's also interesenting to see that Spain has different "languages" in each autonomous region. For example we can't understand catalunian or what they speak in the basque country but we can comunicate in galician very well, way better than normal spanish.

That's interesting. From what I understand the Gaelic languages in Scotland, Ireland and Wales are pretty similar to Latin and French. Irish and Welsh in most regions are still well spoken in those countries but Gaelic and Scots not so much bar a few pockets in the highlands and islands due to the highland clearances etc. They are trying to reintroduce Gaelic in Scotland with road signs etc.

PedroBenfica

That is because Gallician came from the same roots as Portuguese. Both languages followed a different path compared with the other languages from Spain.

PedroBenfica

Citação de: Celticfan em 15 de Julho de 2022, 17:04

That's interesting. From what I understand the Gaelic languages in Scotland, Ireland and Wales are pretty similar to Latin and French. Irish and Welsh in most regions are still well spoken in those countries but Gaelic and Scots not so much bar a few pockets in the highlands and islands due to the highland clearances etc. They are trying to reintroduce Gaelic in Scotland with road signs etc.

"Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob-wllllantysiliogogogoch" is the best word in the world