Portuguese culture

Aka

Citação de: Celticfan em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 19:41
Citação de: Sexta-Feira em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 19:37
Citação de: Celticfan em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 19:36
Citação de: Festivus em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 18:35
Citação de: Espártaco em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 15:33
Citação de: Celticfan em 15 de Setembro de 2022, 17:05
Out of curiousity, how many people on this board speak English % wise. Just want to make sure i'm not pissing people off? Most people seem chill with it but i'm not sure the best approach to take.

I don't know about the %, but don't be worried about that.

Here at the board there is always someone against something.  ;D
With a name like CelticFan I don't think anyone would expect him to speak Portuguese.

How would you say Benfica fan or supporter in Portuguese?

Adepto  do Benfica

Benfiquista

What would be the Celtic equivalent- Celticquista?

Céltico.

Aka

Celticfan

Wait, so is Celta Vigo in English- Celtic Vigo/ Vigo Celtic?

Castro_SLB

Aka

Citação de: Celticfan em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 19:54

Celta is a celtic person or thing.

The Celts - Os Celtas

But we only use demonyms for groups of football fans when they have already got that tradition: Portuguese clubs, Spanish clubs (madridistas), Brazilian clubs (flamenguistas, palmeirenses). If not we just say "os adeptos do xxx".

JustMe

Out of curiousity, how many people on this board speak English % wise. Just want to make sure i'm not pissing people off? Most people seem chill with it but i'm not sure the best approach to take.

With a name like CelticFan I don't think anyone would expect him to speak Portuguese.

Adepto  do Benfica

Benfiquista

You could do that, but it would sound a bit weird to my ears. Except for some nouns that are already somewhat established or are linguistically close to Portuguese, such as madridista, milanista, etc., you'd simply say "adepto do [insert club name]". So you'd be an "adepto do Celtic", literally "Celtic fan".

Sexta-Feira

Citação de: Celticfan em 16 de Setembro de 2022, 19:54

it's complicated.

It has to do with the Celtic tribes that settled before the Roman era I think... Or after.

mainly in the North of Porrugal and Galicia (Spanish province).

These are areas of the Iberian Peninsula full of Celtic ruins. Anglo Saxony I think!

Vigo is a city in Galicia (Spain)

Festivus

Adepto  do Benfica

Benfiquista

We don't use such denominations for fans of non-portuguese speaking countries. We'd just say "adepto do Celtic" which literally means Celtic supporter.

Jotenko

Faroleiro

Citação de: PedroBenfica em 15 de Julho de 2022, 17:07
Citação de: Celticfan em 15 de Julho de 2022, 17:04
Citação de: humbug_1904 em 15 de Julho de 2022, 16:52
Citação de: Celticfan em 15 de Julho de 2022, 16:32
What are the differences between Spanish and Portuguese? Is it the way you say different things like in US vs UK English? There's some things Americans say, call or spell things that would stump a Brit and vice versa (although that gap is closing due to globalisation and Hollywood). Canada is like a weird hybrid, mostly speaks UK English but has some weirds quirks due to be so close to the US.

Or is it like similarities between English and French?
No, it's much more different than US vs UK. They speak way more quicker than us but we have a "closed" way of speaking, and grammarly it has a lot of differences aswell as of course the vocabulary that changes a lot. They have a harder time understanding us than we do understanding them.

I think it would make sense for it to be similar to the differences between English and French because they come from the same background and Spanish and Portugal do aswell (from Latin) but I think the proximity between the two countries made it so that our languages are more similar than English and French. And it's also interesenting to see that Spain has different "languages" in each autonomous region. For example we can't understand catalunian or what they speak in the basque country but we can comunicate in galician very well, way better than normal spanish.

That's interesting. From what I understand the Gaelic languages in Scotland, Ireland and Wales are pretty similar to Latin and French. Irish and Welsh in most regions are still well spoken in those countries but Gaelic and Scots not so much bar a few pockets in the highlands and islands due to the highland clearances etc. They are trying to reintroduce Gaelic in Scotland with road signs etc.

"Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob-wllllantysiliogogogoch" is the best word in the world
Cymru :metal: :tocha: :bandeiraslb2: