Olympiacos Piraeus

Godescalco

Citação de: Faliro em 30 de Maio de 2024, 20:29
Citação de: Godescalco em 30 de Maio de 2024, 20:20
Citação de: Faliro em 30 de Maio de 2024, 10:58
Citação de: Godescalco em 29 de Maio de 2024, 22:46Crying tears of joy!

The boys were enormous tonight!

Olympiakara mou!

You beauty!

I told you Mendilibar would be successful in Piraeus. A perfect match!

I had zero faith, but I did not know Spanish football as well as you. You called it and you also called many other things correct. Mendilibar handled Fiorentina beautifully. Absorbed the pressure and struck at the perfect moment.

When you next in Hellas file?

Yes, the team was absolutely prepared last night for the challenge. That speaks highly of the mental and strategical preparation done by Mendilibar. Fiorentina had their chances, especially in the first half, but one thing that impressed me from the get-go was how every player in Olympiakos knew what he had to do in the field, tackled hard, ran for every play, stayed focused and looked mentally sharp. It always felt like Olympiakos would be able to find a way to win this one and, thank God, they did. I jumped from my chair in the bar where I was watching the game when El Kaabi headed it in! I knew what this meant for the club and for Greece. I've been following the team for more than 20 years.

I hope Mendilibar stays in Piraeus and can continue to add more silverware to Olympiakos' honours.

Festivus

Olympiacos has a ton of domestic trophies, but was missing a European trophy in its honours. Even if the Conference League isn't the biggest European trophy out there, it's still an official trophy, so makes sense to be proud of winning it.

Congratulations.

Faliro

Citação de: Festivus em 31 de Maio de 2024, 09:44Olympiacos has a ton of domestic trophies, but was missing a European trophy in its honours. Even if the Conference League isn't the biggest European trophy out there, it's still an official trophy, so makes sense to be proud of winning it.

Congratulations.

Exactly. I want us to become the Sevilla of the Conference League!

Faliro

Citação de: Godescalco em 30 de Maio de 2024, 23:19
Citação de: Faliro em 30 de Maio de 2024, 20:29
Citação de: Godescalco em 30 de Maio de 2024, 20:20
Citação de: Faliro em 30 de Maio de 2024, 10:58
Citação de: Godescalco em 29 de Maio de 2024, 22:46Crying tears of joy!

The boys were enormous tonight!

Olympiakara mou!

You beauty!

I told you Mendilibar would be successful in Piraeus. A perfect match!

I had zero faith, but I did not know Spanish football as well as you. You called it and you also called many other things correct. Mendilibar handled Fiorentina beautifully. Absorbed the pressure and struck at the perfect moment.

When you next in Hellas file?

Yes, the team was absolutely prepared last night for the challenge. That speaks highly of the mental and strategical preparation done by Mendilibar. Fiorentina had their chances, especially in the first half, but one thing that impressed me from the get-go was how every player in Olympiakos knew what he had to do in the field, tackled hard, ran for every play, stayed focused and looked mentally sharp. It always felt like Olympiakos would be able to find a way to win this one and, thank God, they did. I jumped from my chair in the bar where I was watching the game when El Kaabi headed it in! I knew what this meant for the club and for Greece. I've been following the team for more than 20 years.

I hope Mendilibar stays in Piraeus and can continue to add more silverware to Olympiakos' honours.

I think Mendilibar will stay. Marinakis and him have no issue, only love and respect. Podence took a great photo of him on the coach the night of the victory. He was pensive, satisfied, content. I think he stays.

The key to building on this will be keeping Karmo, Podence and El Kaabi.
Horta, Hezze, Chiquinho, Iborra (he said today his wants to return to Levante where his heart is), Fortounis, Rodinei Retsos are the tradition. But the jokers in the pack are the 3 I mentioned.

Podence must stay.
I hope and want Carmo to stay. He has been huge since he came. He is our defence with Retsos.
El Kaabi, I hope he ignore the sirens and stays.

Faliro

Savvas Theodoridis.

As Vangelis Marinakis had promised after winning the Conference League, the prestigious trophy went to all those who did not have time to see Olympiakos conquer this European summit.

Thus, after the final, he gave the Cup to the general secretary of UEFA, Theodoros Theodoridis, who is of course the son of the iconic captain of Olympiakos.

Faliro

I guess Iborra is the first to go..

So I guess we looking for a replacement for a talented 6'3 centre mid with 4 Europa Cups..

Faliro

The cup placed on the monument to those who died in the Gate 7 tragedy.

It was also placed on the tomb of Marinakis's father, Miltiadis.

I reflected today on this strange custom and I realised - the ancient Greeks would have done exactly the same, placing the trophy besides the fallen.

lmoutad

Citação de: Faliro em 31 de Maio de 2024, 16:28I guess Iborra is the first to go..

So I guess we looking for a replacement for a talented 6'3 centre mid with 4 Europa Cups..

Hi Faliro!

Benfica is about to sign (so it seems) a Greek striker, Pavlidis.

What are your thoughts on him as a Greek national player? It is strange to me to see Ioannidis always on line up instead of him... Is he a good signing for Benfica or are better strikers (such as Ioannidis for instance)?

Thanks!

Faliro

Citação de: lmoutad em 02 de Junho de 2024, 10:57
Citação de: Faliro em 31 de Maio de 2024, 16:28I guess Iborra is the first to go..

Hi Faliro!

Benfica is about to sign (so it seems) a Greek striker, Pavlidis.

What are your thoughts on him as a Greek national player? It is strange to me to see Ioannidis always on line up instead of him... Is he a good signing for Benfica or are better strikers (such as Ioannidis for instance)?

Thanks!

I was never sold on either Pavlidis or Ioaniidis.

Pavlidis is a box striker and can sometimes play just behind a striker. Ioannidis is more of presence and far more aggressive - more of a Croatian-type striker if that makes sense.

For all Greek strikers you must not ever look at their National Team goals for Greece because Greece has played every game with 10 men for 3 years due to Bakasetas starting as a 10. We play many games against very weak opposition without even 1 shot on target in 90 minutes. Fortounis, Tzolis and Konstantelias are not allowed anywhere near the NT and therefore goals rarely come regardless of who the striker is. Therefore only look at the club games for stats, both European Comps and domestic league to gauge their talent.

The striker from Greece I wanted for Benfica was Douvikas who Celta bought and immediately benched him allowing him no rhythm. After him, I would say Giakoumakis would suit Benfica. Cruz Azul are trying to buy him atm. He is more of a Cardozo type striker.

However, the player Benfica should buy immediately is Konstantelias. He is talented, a 10 and will help the Benfica attack.

Faliro

Never realised Lemonis's soul was this big:

Lemonis: "Wembley is over, now there is only N. Philadelphia"

Wednesday, June 5, 2024 - 11:00

Takis Lemonis is a man who has lived Olympiacos well, having achieved great things with him. Championships, Cups, among others the first double of the Piraeus team, in Europe. So, he knows what he is talking about when he refers to the European success of Olympiakos, with the conquest of the Conference League, putting an end to the narrative of the "greens" for Wembley in '71.

In one of his letters to the "Apogeumatini" newspaper, the former coach of the Reds "touches" the soul of every GAVROU, even pointing out at the end of his text, the following sentence: "Wembley is over, now there will only be Neo Philadelphia"

What Takis Lemonis writes in detail:

"My heart is going to break! It counts, it counts, it can't be offside", I say to Thanasis who is sitting next to me. I remember El Kaabi's two goals against Aston Villa which were also VAR reviewed and I think to myself 'Oh my God, let's not live like the English episode'. For four minutes, the world seemed to freeze. And then... redemption! The dream! The moment we have been waiting to live for 50 years since the first day when my father and uncles took me by the hand and took me to see an Olympiacos game in the old Karaiskakis. For us, Sundays were a family affair. Luck blessed me to experience everything in the red and white jersey. It helped me live the happiest moments of my career, wearing the striped with the laurel wreath teenager.

Europe, however, has always been an outcast. An elusive dream! Panathinaikos have always had Wembley as a point of reference. The fans of AEK their own 1977. Us? Courage and someone had cursed us to never get past the second round hurdle. Even in years when we experienced unrepeatable triumphs. Like then with Ajax. That night we felt like we could conquer the world. As we felt against Leverkusen, against Werder, Real, Lazio. The presence in the final of a European competition, however, stubbornly refused to come. We talked about it a lot with each other for years in the locker room. Europe hurt us a lot in the 80s. We saw Panathinaikos reach the semi-finals of the Champions Cup again and we... ate the meat: Why only them and not us? One time it was bad luck, another time it was our mistakes, the next time it was the superiority of our opponents. The causes were varied and different, the disappointment at the end of the journey always the same. I remember my first speech to the children when I was on the Olympiakos bench for the first time in a European game in Liverpool. I was trying to make them feel that we could win over everyone as long as we got our own identity. To believe in ourselves.

I was sitting in the stands in Neo Philadelphia on Wednesday night trying to think what was going through the minds of players I met as kids at Rentis. I remember the first steps of Panagiotis. I remember the establishment of Kostas at the top level. Retsos, Fortounis, dozens of memories, dozens of moments passed through my eyes in a few seconds. Christian, Darko, Agriogiannis, Mourikis, the members of the medical team. I'm trying to sort through the thoughts in my head. I shared their joy. I know how much they have tried to give these moments to the world of Olympiakos. I understand that a fan from the stands gets carried away by the emotions that a result gives rise to. He forgets the weight these people carry on the grass.

Now with social media the criticism leveled at football players and coaches is inhumane. In the past, we used to worry about the newspapers that came out the next morning. Now; They are "shooting" at you 24 hours a day. You must endure with all the strength of your soul. What were these guys listening to in early January when the team was facing a tsunami of obsolescence? They stood up, endured and gave us these unrepeatable moments. I looked at tearful faces all around me and thought of the irony with which Vangelis Marinakis and Kristian Karebbe faced each time they publicly shared their dreams of Olympiakos appearing in a European final.

Leaving the field I was trying to realize what had happened. And in my mind I had my father and my uncle. The two people who introduced me to the uniqueness of this huge club. I wish we could have lived together right now. God blessed me to live it with my children and my grandson. Now the dream I carried since I was a child had come true! And I will now be able to tell Billy and "Sku" that Wembley is over. From the years we played together in Attikos - when the genuine, authentic and pure football."

Faliro

Godescalco

Citação de: Faliro em 05 de Junho de 2024, 13:16Never realised Lemonis's soul was this big:

Lemonis: "Wembley is over, now there is only N. Philadelphia"

Wednesday, June 5, 2024 - 11:00

Takis Lemonis is a man who has lived Olympiacos well, having achieved great things with him. Championships, Cups, among others the first double of the Piraeus team, in Europe. So, he knows what he is talking about when he refers to the European success of Olympiakos, with the conquest of the Conference League, putting an end to the narrative of the "greens" for Wembley in '71.

In one of his letters to the "Apogeumatini" newspaper, the former coach of the Reds "touches" the soul of every GAVROU, even pointing out at the end of his text, the following sentence: "Wembley is over, now there will only be Neo Philadelphia"

What Takis Lemonis writes in detail:

"My heart is going to break! It counts, it counts, it can't be offside", I say to Thanasis who is sitting next to me. I remember El Kaabi's two goals against Aston Villa which were also VAR reviewed and I think to myself 'Oh my God, let's not live like the English episode'. For four minutes, the world seemed to freeze. And then... redemption! The dream! The moment we have been waiting to live for 50 years since the first day when my father and uncles took me by the hand and took me to see an Olympiacos game in the old Karaiskakis. For us, Sundays were a family affair. Luck blessed me to experience everything in the red and white jersey. It helped me live the happiest moments of my career, wearing the striped with the laurel wreath teenager.

Europe, however, has always been an outcast. An elusive dream! Panathinaikos have always had Wembley as a point of reference. The fans of AEK their own 1977. Us? Courage and someone had cursed us to never get past the second round hurdle. Even in years when we experienced unrepeatable triumphs. Like then with Ajax. That night we felt like we could conquer the world. As we felt against Leverkusen, against Werder, Real, Lazio. The presence in the final of a European competition, however, stubbornly refused to come. We talked about it a lot with each other for years in the locker room. Europe hurt us a lot in the 80s. We saw Panathinaikos reach the semi-finals of the Champions Cup again and we... ate the meat: Why only them and not us? One time it was bad luck, another time it was our mistakes, the next time it was the superiority of our opponents. The causes were varied and different, the disappointment at the end of the journey always the same. I remember my first speech to the children when I was on the Olympiakos bench for the first time in a European game in Liverpool. I was trying to make them feel that we could win over everyone as long as we got our own identity. To believe in ourselves.

I was sitting in the stands in Neo Philadelphia on Wednesday night trying to think what was going through the minds of players I met as kids at Rentis. I remember the first steps of Panagiotis. I remember the establishment of Kostas at the top level. Retsos, Fortounis, dozens of memories, dozens of moments passed through my eyes in a few seconds. Christian, Darko, Agriogiannis, Mourikis, the members of the medical team. I'm trying to sort through the thoughts in my head. I shared their joy. I know how much they have tried to give these moments to the world of Olympiakos. I understand that a fan from the stands gets carried away by the emotions that a result gives rise to. He forgets the weight these people carry on the grass.

Now with social media the criticism leveled at football players and coaches is inhumane. In the past, we used to worry about the newspapers that came out the next morning. Now; They are "shooting" at you 24 hours a day. You must endure with all the strength of your soul. What were these guys listening to in early January when the team was facing a tsunami of obsolescence? They stood up, endured and gave us these unrepeatable moments. I looked at tearful faces all around me and thought of the irony with which Vangelis Marinakis and Kristian Karebbe faced each time they publicly shared their dreams of Olympiakos appearing in a European final.

Leaving the field I was trying to realize what had happened. And in my mind I had my father and my uncle. The two people who introduced me to the uniqueness of this huge club. I wish we could have lived together right now. God blessed me to live it with my children and my grandson. Now the dream I carried since I was a child had come true! And I will now be able to tell Billy and "Sku" that Wembley is over. From the years we played together in Attikos - when the genuine, authentic and pure football."

Takis is an absolute legend.

His second stint at Piraeus was actually pretty good in Europe. Olympiacos reached the round of 16 of the UCL, falling at the feet of a superior Chelsea team that would go on to reach the final.

Speaking of near-misses, being knocked out of the UCL in the round of 16 by Bordeaux in 09/10 was a huge disappointment, after qualifying in that group with Arsenal. If you had knocked out Bordeaux, you would've played Lyon in the quarter-finals and who knows? Although, Zico had already gone in January and you had Božidar Bandović as a caretaker so that didn't bode well for the future.

Godescalco

The former Rio Ave player, João Pedro Loureiro da Costa, better known as Costinha in the football world, is the new right-back of Olympiakos.

Faliro

Citação de: Godescalco em 09 de Julho de 2024, 18:01

The former Rio Ave player, João Pedro Loureiro da Costa, better known as Costinha in the football world, is the new right-back of Olympiakos.

Goes straight to Oly B.

Marinakis now owns Rio Ave.. what you make of it?

Covenant

Citação de: Faliro em 09 de Julho de 2024, 19:17
Citação de: Godescalco em 09 de Julho de 2024, 18:01

Goes straight to Oly B.

Marinakis now owns Rio Ave.. what you make of it?
Forest is Oly A?