Portuguese culture

humbug_1904

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:24
Citação de: zefo em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:20
Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:17
Is there a traditional food eaten at the football in Portugal? Obviously now everything is gentrified or the same most places- burgers, chips, cokes etc but what about back in the day?

In Scotland and I think the rest of the UK it's mince pies and Bovril. We usually call them BSE or botulism pies as most are disgusting and either undercooked or rock solid (most stadiums will give you the cheapest and nastiest stuff going and charge a fortune). Kilmarnock in Scotland are famous for being one of the few places that do good mince pies.

Before modern stadiums and kiosks there used to be people that would sell chewing gum and macaroon bars in the ground and that was pretty much your whack. Men would bring in their carry outs of beer, tonic wine etc in the days before alcohol was banned. Children would be lifted over walls to get in and there wasn't much in the way of toilets so people would pee in bottles.

Before/after the games, men would go to the pub and their kids would sit outside with a packet of crisps and a coke or similar.

I know Mexico has it's own food traditions in stadiums.

Bifanas e coiratos but the true not the shit made by Gordon Ramsey

Bifana

Coirato

What are they chicken and beef?
Bifana is pork and it's amazing with a cold "Imperial"

Coirato is a disgusting piece of barely digestible food made of pork fat/skin, sometimes it comes with hair on it

Celticfan

Citação de: humbug_1904 em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:46
Is there a traditional food eaten at the football in Portugal? Obviously now everything is gentrified or the same most places- burgers, chips, cokes etc but what about back in the day?

In Scotland and I think the rest of the UK it's mince pies and Bovril. We usually call them BSE or botulism pies as most are disgusting and either undercooked or rock solid (most stadiums will give you the cheapest and nastiest stuff going and charge a fortune). Kilmarnock in Scotland are famous for being one of the few places that do good mince pies.

Before modern stadiums and kiosks there used to be people that would sell chewing gum and macaroon bars in the ground and that was pretty much your whack. Men would bring in their carry outs of beer, tonic wine etc in the days before alcohol was banned. Children would be lifted over walls to get in and there wasn't much in the way of toilets so people would pee in bottles.

Before/after the games, men would go to the pub and their kids would sit outside with a packet of crisps and a coke or similar.

Bifana

Coirato

Coirato is a disgusting piece of barely digestible food made of pork fat/skin, sometimes it comes with hair on it

:o sometimes it's good to not know what's in your food or where it came from.

JustMe

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:55

Bifana

Coirato

Much like haggis, some might say it's... an acquired taste.

Celticfan

Citação de: JustMe em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:58

Bifana

Coirato

Ha haggis doesn't bother me or black pudding. It's more the kebabs, burgers, mince pies from stadiums or vans outside that do.

zefo

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:05
Citação de: JustMe em 27 de Junho de 2022, 19:58

Bifana

Coirato

Ha haggis doesn't bother me or black pudding. It's more the kebabs, burgers, mince pies from stadiums or vans outside that do.
For your haggis i give you Maranhos, and for your black pudding i play chanfana.
Your Turn.

humbug_1904

Whta's the best dish in Scotland, in your opinion?

samarras

The real name is fino, not imperial.

Espártaco

humbug_1904

Citação de: samarras em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:24
The real name is fino, not imperial.
For me, Portugal only begins below Coimbra. North of Coimbra is land of savages

Celticfan

Citação de: humbug_1904 em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:23

Believe it or not Indian currys, especially in Glasgow but Edinburgh has some good ones as well. Chicken Tikka masala was invented there and a lot of British centric currys from Indian/Pakistani immigrants that came over in the 60's and 70's.

I love a good steak pie at new years day as well.

There's been a bit of a food renaissance in Scotland, for decades Scotland exported it's ingredients such as salmon, lamb, seafood etc. It's starting to come back though and more Scottish restaurants are popping up.

Soft drink: Irn Bru

humbug_1904

Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:54

Believe it or not Indian currys, especially in Glasgow but Edinburgh has some good ones as well. Chicken Tikka masala was invented there and a lot of British centric currys from Indian/Pakistani immigrants that came over in the 60's and 70's.

There's been a bit of a food renaissance in Scotland, for decades Scotland exported it's ingredients such as salmon, lamb, seafood etc. It's starting to come back though and more Scottish restaurants are popping up.

What ;D ;D

Celticfan

Citação de: humbug_1904 em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:56
Citação de: Celticfan em 27 de Junho de 2022, 20:54

What ;D ;D

Yeah, at a restaurant called the Shish Mahal in the 1970's.

Regardless, you'll get a good curry there. I work with some Indian people and the currys they make in India look nothing like the British style ones  ;D

There's also something called a munchie box that I miss. I wouldn't say it's good (from a cuisine perspective) but when you are drunk it is the best thing every after a night out. It's basically kebab meat, pakora of different types, chips, salad, sometimes onion rings and some sort of dipping sauce, naan or pita bread absolutely crammed into a pizza box. What you get in it varies between kebab shop. It's usually relatively cheap for what you get. It's literally a heart attack in a box but by god when you are drunk it is the best thing ever. My American wife is repulsed by it.

Whoever brings it to America would be a rich man, especially beside night clubs or college towns.

https://www.google.com/search?q=munchie+box+glasgow&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS867US867&sxsrf=ALiCzsYZIlyayuQYohZa35M2xZ8raH1oRQ:1656361613157&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_4Mjsu874AhXVIkQIHSuDB2sQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1536&bih=746&dpr=1.25

Celticfan

BTW no real Scots eats a deep fried mars bar. It's very much a tourist thing.

Jotenko

Bifana

Coirato

Coirato is usually a food associated with the "real men do/eat/drink" meme.